Cutting Trees

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all.

Short summary:

Have a lot of trees which need cutting back at the bottom of my garden. Have done some already with a hand saw and the thinner bits I have cut with secateurs.

However, the thicker bits take a bit of work so I was considering either a reciprocating saw or an electric chainsaw. I am somewhat hesitant to consider the latter because some of the work will be at height and there are always safety issues.

I thought a recip saw would be best but I am told they vary in their ability to cut and also that they blunt the blades quickly.

I am looking at branch diameters around 15-20cm max.

Two questions really;

(1) What would be best - recip or elec chainsaw?

(2) If recip - any suggestions please?

Before someone asks, I have been quoted £750 plus VAT for the work hence why I am keen to do it myself.

Thanks in advance.

B

Sponsored Links
Hello all.

Short summary:

Have a lot of trees which need cutting back at the bottom of my garden. Have done some already with a hand saw and the thinner bits I have cut with secateurs.

However, the thicker bits take a bit of work so I was considering either a reciprocating saw or an electric chainsaw. I am somewhat hesitant to consider the latter because some of the work will be at height and there are always safety issues.

I thought a recip saw would be best but I am told they vary in their ability to cut and also that they blunt the blades quickly.

I am looking at branch diameters around 15-20cm max.

Two questions really;

(1) What would be best - recip or elec chainsaw?

(2) If recip - any suggestions please?

Before someone asks, I have been quoted £750 plus VAT for the work hence why I am keen to do it myself.

Thanks in advance.

B

A reciprocating saw will do it but will be very slow.

Electric chainsaws are typically quite light, and are very quick.

I know this through pruning a long, offensive Leylandii hedge with a reciprocating saw, and completely cutting it down a couple of years later with a Makita electric chainsaw.

Clearly even an electric chainsaw can be very dangerous, and if you get one you'd do well to invest in suitable chainsaw trousers and gloves, and a helmet with eye protection. Ear protection not really needed for an electric chainsaw. And get some advice on how to use it.

Why not try it with a reciprocating saw first, and see if it's too slow for you. Buy lots of blades.

Cheers
Richard

Electric chain saw as said they are light, I am wary of them but just respect them & don't rush (let the saw do the work) or reach out.

buy a 30 inch bacho bow saw for £10 if youre not confident with a chain saw.

will take you less then 2 minutes.

Sponsored Links
Thanks munching

Not afraid of trying the chainsaw but one of those will be a LOT safer.

Will see how I get on with one of those.

I see they do lots of lengths. Do I really need the 30 inch??

Should I also get spare blades?

B

i would get a big one yes-if you dont need the room to manoeuvre.

they are seriously sharp so dont compare the performance with a hand saw.

wear some big gloves too because you'll regret it if you run your finger along the blade by accident. completely capable of putting you in a&e for a few stitches!

Thanks for that advice.

I will be wearing gloves!!

I am guessing that I won't need a spare blade if they are that sharp....

Or will I??

Have lots to do!

Thanks again.

B

get a spare if you want but ive personally never managed to either snap or blunt a bow saw blade.

seriously cannot emphasise how vicious those blades are!

i cant say that ive ever seen a bow saw blade for sale even..?

Personally i find bow saw very cumbersome especially when up a ladder or in a tree. they can also be hard to use when cutting at any sort of angle to yourself.

A pruning saw, like a silky, is much better for this job. They are dearer though at probably 30 quid for a decent one.

They can't really be re-sharpened but a new one will last me a few years in professional use and then i buy a spare blade.

Thanks for that.

Now I am stumped (no pun intended)

:confused:

silkys are good on a pole...and cutting smaller branches but not 15-20 cms!

Get a bloke in with a petrol polesaw, will be done in no time, unless the branches are really high up

Thanks for all the replies thus far.

scbk - good idea but prices in God's Country are probably a tenth of what they charge down here so getting a bloke in is what I want to avoid to keep costs down.

Thanks to all you helpful people, I've reached the conclusion that a recip saw is not FFP and a chainsaw is just a step too far.

I've researched both pruning saws and bow saws and I am considering these options.

However, scbk has raised an interesting point because I had seen electric pole saws for pruning but hadn't really considered them.

Are they any good? Looks like some of them are carp but I've seen some which look quite good.

I am not afraid of hard work and am happy to manually cut the trees but these pole saws (electric NOT petrol) look as if they might be a satisfactory halfway house.

Views would be very much appreciated.

Thanks yet again.

B

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back