Creating my own gulley surround . . . . . . . .

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks, I plan to create my own gulley surround from a few bricks and just needed a little advice.

This is what I have. It sits too low in the ground and soil around it is always falling in :
View media item 37954
And this is what I want to create:
View media item 80450
Do I simply dig down around the drain, lay a little gravel and build up say a couple of layers of bricks? What mix should the mortar be and do I need to add a water repellant inside where there may be mortar between the drain and the brickwork?

Any advice would be gratefully received. Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
You can simply bed the bricks onto a bed of concrete and point the gaps or butt them if you prefer. You may need to haunch the inside like a kerb to stop it getting kicked loose depending on the height and the bricks used.

A mix something like below would do and about 3 inches thick.

2x 10mm gravel
2x sand
1x cement

No need to worry to much about the inside.

You can also buy riser add ons for gulleys if you need to raise the height.

Sponsored Links
It didnt look that low in the first pic :eek:

I still wouldnt take it higher than your paving though unless your sure it wont lead to flooding.. front of my house is like a swimming pool when it rains!

I wouldnt take it above your dpc either.. if its where the bricks change it looks close. N theyll be pretty wet especially if it floods ;)

Good luck with it :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back