Cyclists should be banned off certain roads

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Don't know about you guys but round our way since the cycling event in Harrogate and summer there has been a massive increase in cyclists and Halfords are reporting sales up since it happened but near where I live there are some country lanes with different speed limits and it amazes me that some are 70mph which have a lot of bends and sharp turns but these have become a magnet for the cyclists and imho it is only a matter of time before a serious accident or death will happen.. so my point is that cyclists should be banned for their own safety, also near us is a dual carriageway with a cycle path but what I am finding is that some of the suited/booted ones all with the nice new shiny clothes are still using the dual carriageway FFS... what is all that about??????? my own thoughts is they think they are real pro,s who don't use cycle paths :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
near where I live there are some country lanes with different speed limits and it amazes me that some are 70mph which have a lot of bends and sharp turns and imho it is only a matter of time before a serious accident or death will happen..l:

I agree in essence that mixed traffic can be a problem although if the roads are that bad there is also an equally valid argument to ban cars or at least reduce the speed limit to a more sensible one such as say 40mph.....in the interests of safety .

I agree and after large sums are spent on cycle paths because they are needed on a route it should be made compulsory to use them.

Sponsored Links
there are some country lanes with different speed limits and it amazes me that some are 70mph which have a lot of bends and sharp turns
It amazes me that dual carriageways have sharp turns :confused: Thought the national speed limit for single carriageways was 60 which is more likely to be reduced to 50 rather than increased in the event of bends and turns :confused:

I do find it hard to get round some of those tight bends at 70mph but if that's what the signs say that what I have to try and do.

I do find it hard to get round some of those tight bends at 70mph but if that's what the signs say that what I have to try and do.

I see the jibe you are making but, in all honesty, I think there are some people who think this is the rule! "

Speed limit 70mph I must do 70mph, regardless of the conditions."

If they read the highway code they would see that you should drive within the speed limit, at a spoeed that is safe to do at that time. If the speed limit is 40mph but there is thick fog then the sensible driver will reduce his speed accordingly. The idiot will still drive at 40mph+. :rolleyes:

if you cant stop short off another vehicle by 30 yards your going to fast

As one that has not long ago get his first Road bike(first bike as an adult) and who is rocking the Lycra ...think I starting to get in the mind set of some of theses Mamils (middle-aged men in lycra).

1,First of Bike lanes are almost always awful. patchy and often a **** take. I have some were I live and took me all of one day to just keep to the road.

2, drivers are almost always good with me. I was really surprised at how patient and respectful they were. generally speaking out side of city and further north you go. the better the diver. less road rage I guess, less pressure.

3, The trend is only going up. which means it we are going to learn to deal with it. I am always trying to look for quiet roads but for me there is only really three ways out of hartlepool and all of them have heavy ish traffic. It about patient and respectful.

4, the Lycra does help...but it is a way for grown men to play dress up
:LOL:

Cyclist should be required to pass a test like the rest of the road users, if you send untrained people into any dangerous situation without training you risk injury and worse.

• Thanks
Reactions: JBR
I ALWAYS slow down when i see middle aged men in lycra, i find it hard to drive fast whilst pizzing myself laughing :LOL:

Where are these 70 mph roads? The National Speed Limit on all but motorways and certain dual-carriageways is 60 mph, don't you know that?

Cyclists have as much right to use the roads as anybody else; all that needs to happen is for drivers to wake up, spot those cyclists and pass them carefully when it's safe to do so. What's so difficult about that?

I agree and after large sums are spent on cycle paths because they are needed on a route it should be made compulsory to use them.

Most cycle lanes are lines along the edge of a road where there's enough width, painted by the local highways authority so that they can tick the box for meeting the target of so many miles created this year. The gutter is where the grit and debris accumulates so is a bad place for punctures, not to mention that the good defensive cyclist takes primary position well out into the carriageway and asserts his right to use the road, forcing drivers to pass him with care rather than try to squeeze past.

The only answer would be to rebuild our entire road network with separate cycle paths as in the Netherlands, but unfortunately our overcrowded and medieval road network won't allow this, not to mention the obvious cost problem.

So you drivers had better get used to us because we're here to stay. I drive 24,000 miles a year and have no problem waiting patiently to pass a cyclist; I usually find I can make up the lost few seconds later when the road clears.

Having been a cyclist for many years, and a car driver for even more, I can see both sides of the coin so to speak.

The majority of cyclists are sensible on the road but like everything in life there are some who get the majority a bad name.

Most drivers are also courteous to cyclists who they see being sensible. It's when a cyclist is dodging in and out of slow moving traffic that drivers get irritated because they can't anticipate what the cyclist will do when the traffic starts moving faster.

If they ban cyclists, they ll have to ban horses, as they are wider and slower.

Where will it all end?

Sponsored Links
Back