Replacing roof felt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just replaced my gutters, facias and soffits and from what I can see, the lower run of felt is quite poor and really ought to be replaced.

Is there anything else I need to do or consider, whilst I have scaffolding, if I remove enough tiles to remove the lower batten and slide some new felt (or what ever it is I should be using these days) under the old felt as far as I can get it, giving good over lap?

So, basically I would intend to,

1. Remove enough tiles to expose lower batten,
2. Cut old felt to just below the batten, or leave more on if it's good enough
3. Slide new felt material up under the old felt as far as I can go
4. Replace batten
5. Replace tiles and re point the few at the gable end.

Does that sound ok? Is there anything else, advice and tips? The rest of the felt from what I can see in the loft is ok.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
That's the way to go, carry on.

I note you say you have scaffolding up, and you would need to re-point some gable. I presume you know there are dry verge systems available which fit over the sides of the tiles instead of pointing. They're not a quick fit as they probably require cutting tiles etc, but it might save you some future maintenance if you fitted them while you've got access.

That's the way to go, carry on.

I note you say you have scaffolding up, and you would need to re-point some gable. I presume you know there are dry verge systems available which fit over the sides of the tiles instead of pointing. They're not a quick fit as they probably require cutting tiles etc, but it might save you some future maintenance if you fitted them while you've got access.

Thanks Alan. I've never considered the dry verge systems. Thanks for the suggestion, that will probably help prevent any water ingress through the pointing.

Whilst on the subject, I ought to get some recommendations on roofing felt.

What should I be using, as UV attacks roofing felt/membranes, I need to come back futher than the 330mm eaves protector UV stable felt, so could I use any roofing membrane, cut that short of the facia, then use butyle tape to fix eaves protecting felt to that and use undertrays?

Or is there a better method I should be using? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Can anyone help with this one?

Should I replace my bottom row of felt with a breathable membrane (air permeable, vapour permeable?), non breathable membrane?

Thanks.

cut the felt roughly level with the top of the fascia board because it is probably perished past there, then slide eaves trays under the remaining felt. make sure you overlap the trays. have you used over fascia vents or soffit vents?

cut the felt roughly level with the top of the fascia board because it is probably perished past there, then slide eaves trays under the remaining felt. make sure you overlap the trays. have you used over fascia vents or soffit vents?

Trays won't suffice for this one, it needs replacing. Some bodger has been in there before by the looks of it as there is a massive hole at least two courses of tiles high.

When I nail the roof felt down, am I supposed to use something to seal where the nails have penetrated the felt? Is that something which gets done at all?

The batons will hold the felt down but in the mean time I just staple it in place.

Basically, this is what I'm up against....

as you can see, some clunge of a knob jockey installed a coax cable, in the cavity wall from the eaves and made a massive hole in the original felt, hence my idea of simply replacing the bottom run, by removing the two bottom battens and pushing the new membrane up under the original felt to the third batten (not removing the third batten).

The other option, would be just to remove what's around this area and put a repair patch in, though I'm not sure how long that would last, it may just be better to replace the bottom row whilst I have scaffolding.

No you let the felt sag to create small valleys between the rafters so thats were the water runs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back