Sliding shelf accessory

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I have made a sliding shelf to sit under my desk to hold a musical keyboard. However, I'm having a problem with the shelf sliding. I'm looking for some sort of catch that I can put either on the top side or bottom side of the shelf (top would be preferred due to accessibility). I've searched numerous internet sites looking for something but haven't been able to find whatever it is that I'm after. I seem to remember something from years ago that was springed and allowed a flick of the thumb to lock it into place but, as I've no idea what it would be called it's hard to find. Any ideas please

Sponsored Links
easier if you can show us a picture of what you've made

Hi. I've posted three images of the shelf. One has the shelf away. Another the shelf out and the third showing the rail at the side. Ideally I'd like some sort of gadget thingumybob that will stop the shelf at any point along it's trajectory. It's basically on a sliding rail. The problem is is that when I'm using a computer for teaching (I usually use a proper piano) that the shelf has a tendency to move which is not good for the student. I did take a video of the shelf in action but can't find a way to post it here

Hi. I've posted three images of the shelf. One has the shelf away. Another the shelf out and the third showing the rail at the side. Ideally I'd like some sort of gadget thingumybob that will stop the shelf at any point along it's trajectory. It's basically on a sliding rail. The problem is is that when I'm using a computer for teaching (I usually use a proper piano) that the shelf has a tendency to move which is not good for the student. I did take a video of the shelf in action but can't find a way to post it here

Here you go (click to enlargify);

Sponsored Links
Screw in rubber door stop either end so it's a tight fit against the draw timber will limit the rate of movement, cheap and simple.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back