My alterations, starting with the garden.

Sponsored Links
In the end I used the full 13 Te, I probably could've used another couple of tonnes as well to reduce the slope of some of the gradients.

Some more work happening this week, the front cladding and soffits have been replaced with western red cedar. This will be oiled to retain it's natural appearance, the depth of colour over the cedar is beautiful!

The facias have been replaced with hardwood (I think that's what the joiner said? That or rosewood) which have a heap of paint coatings to go on, the final finish colour being Anthracite grey to match the new front door.

I really wish I was getting my white roughcast done sometime soon, it will really finish things off

null_zpse63ccf26.jpg

Mine is almost finished now, joiners are back tomorrow to do the last bit of facia. Need to buy a seperate letterbox now and start saving more cash to get it rendered/roughcast white.

null_zps26d0ebca.jpg

Change of plans.

After an absolutely appalling attempt at fitting dry verge by a 'roofing company' I'm now left with 20+ knackered Marley type 51 tiles, not that easy to get hold of anymore.

Never liked them anyway.

Had another roofer round (seems highly regarded) and pretty much decided to re-do the whole roof as it's past its best.

So looking at taking it back to sarking boards, new breather membrane, new battons and new tiles.

Sponsored Links
This reminds me of a motorcycle I once had. Every winter I ripped it apart and rebuilt until one day I was left with a headstock and gearbox of the original bike! My brother asked me "why didn't you just buy a different bike you liked" :D

Your brother was probably right to be honest haha! I think the trouble is property in this area is at a premium, I can afford to do a lot of work in stages but not the initial huge outlay that would be required to buy something like I'm creating.

At the moment though it is starting to feel like the never ending story!

'Your brother was probably right to be honest haha! I think the trouble is property in this area is at a premium, I can afford to do a lot of work in stages but not the initial huge outlay that would be required to buy something like I'm creating'.

I'm in exactly the same situation as you. We bought a house that needs 'modernising' as the esate agents like to put it. Looking at the other house prices in the area we have saved thousands which we can put back into the property hopefully raising its potential value.
By the way, I love that huge window in the front of your house.

Hi there, here's how it looks at the moment. I clad the decking at the front and re-tiled the roof with Marley smooth moderns, new membrane etc.

house2_zpsaaaf142c.jpg

Not a huge amount of difference but my plans stalled a bit until I decided where to go next with it or whether I should move. Here's what I'm planning.

bd160e1e-e582-421d-8b42-96363171e005_zps8513c4eb.png

That'll gain me a large garage, toy room/snug behind it, extra (very) large bedroom upstairs, large bathroom to replace the tiny shower room and the landing will be made bigger to make the new room shapes less awkward. The new roof will have a 4m flat section in the middle which you'll never see due to the house position from the road.

A few other internal mods like steel beams to remove some walls and bi-folds at the rear of the house.

Thank for posting an update - your plans look good and should make it look more in keeping with your neighbours house also. Nice to see your ever changing fleet of vehicles also!

The mini will be with me forever but the wife kept harping on about a 4x4, luckily my brother wanted to buy the BMW making it simple!

Hi damanpunk

Really enjoy following your progress. The house looks like it will be great once finished. I'm doing a similar project with similar colour scheme to yours at the moment. I just had a couple of questions regarding a few of the items you have purchased.

Firstly the hormann door. It looks great and I was about to buy some fancy door from a local company however after seeing it up close it looked quite thin and personally I want something a bit more solid. Did you go for a 48mm door or the thicker 65mm?

Secondly is about the cedar cladding. Do you mind if I ask where you got it from, costs etc). Also did it need any finishing from you excluding applying the oil?

Thanks in advance.
Greg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back