Advice on 60s staggered terrace house roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Morning All,

I am a first time poster and have just posted in the "building" section, but there are bits about the roof, I thought I would post here.

//www.diynot.com/forums/building/advice-on-60s-staggered-terrace-house-building-survey.408724/

We have recently put in an offer on a staggered mid-terrace house in Surrey (1960s). I have commissioned a building survey rather than the homebuyers report as we aim to be keeping the house for a considerable amount of time. This is the first building survey I have seen / commissioned (having previous lived in a block of flat and never had a survey done (newish flat)) and have some questions.

The report was conducted by a RICS registered surveyor with no affiliation with the EA (actually not from the same area) and no affiliation with the banks or any groups (he has been in the trade for 30 years).

Whilst the valuation wasn't too far off (a couple of grand less but that only represent less than 1% of total purchase price) our offered price, it drawn up several issues that I am hoping someone could help me with:

1) The report drawn up some issues re. lead flashing on the roof and the photoes did show some misalignment and lifting, issues seem to be localised around 1/4 of the chimney and where the house connect to the other terrace (staggered house) - is this costly or easy to repair?

2) It noted no rising damp or dry / wet rot (apart from one area which had a leak and was repaired) - is this normal for a house this age?

3) Single piece of a double strut in the loft seems to have snapped off (not rafter) - why would this happen - it's quite peculiar, it's not a split of the rafter (all rafters appear OK with no rot), but a strut supporting the roof (the other piece is still fine, but this piece has snapped) - no obvious issue re. the loft otherwise.

Would be very grateful for your help.

Many Thanks
Patric

Sponsored Links
I've always stayed away and always will do, from staggered roofs. One neighbours flashing could cause a whole load of problems for your house.

They don't worry about this when they build the houses as it'll never be their problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back