New Roof up to scratch?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive had a new roof installed and the results are really disappointing. The house is a victorian semi which had the original slate roof. A reroof was long over due. The roofer I chose said we could use the best slate from the old roof on the front of the property and use spanish for the back. He started at the back and I had no real reason for concern - other than he was turning up for at 10am each day and leaving at 1pm. He told me it would take 5-7 days. Well the first week went by and he was still striping down the roof. At this point we had some pretty bad weather (4 weeks ago) and my sons room had a huge leak as did the bedroom at the front of the house. He had felted it but clearly this wasn't done correctly.

This was just the start. After 5 weeks he told me on Thursday he was finished with the main roof. Before paying him I went onto the roof to have a look. I was more than a bit surprised to be able to pull slates out from the valley. Not only that the cuts were terrible. The mortar that had been used for the ridge tiles had not been cleaned up so there are just huge dollops on the tiles. Also the edging of the tiles is so untidy. When I phoned him on Thursday evening he said he would come round on saturday and address my concerns. He spent an hour with a tube of grip fill and blobbed it all over the ridge tiles, but did nothing to neaten the cuts. Please can you take a look at the pictures and let me know your thoughts, if there are any other concerns and how I can go about resolving this.

Thanks

//www.diynot.com/network/JTZB/albums/

Sponsored Links
That is an absolute disgrace. There are so many issues(basic) I doubt he is capable of sorting them correctly.

I would be seeking legal advice if I were you.

This is terrible slating. The slates in the valleys are badly cut and fixed even worse. The verges are rubbish and if anything his Lead flashings around the stacks are even worse than his slating.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back