Replacing light - House that jack built!

Or maybe a complete free-for-all with everything except the cpc - use whatever colours you like, then nothing could be assumed and testing would always need to be done.

Sponsored Links
Where does "use grey for neutral to get out of the habit of using black" come from?

It makes no sense (to me) because instead of being unsure whether black is line or neutral, we are now unsure whether the grey is as well.

If joining harmonised and pre-harmonised in an accessory where black is neutral I would connect black to black.

It would (IMO) just have been nicer ('safer', certainly initially) if the harmonised conductor identifications had been created in such a way that there were not 'contradictory overlaps' with the identifications previously used in all the countries concerned. That may not have been possible with single colours alone - but, as I've said, there's something to be said for 'stripes' etc. (they did it for G/Y).
That would have been nice, and it was tried, but there simply aren't enough colours. Using stripes would mean that a colour-blind person would be unable to distinguish the cpc.
In machine wiring, I always advise people to forget about trying to identify conductors by colour; in some environments they'll all end up a greyish brown after a decade or so anyway. Condutors in control panels should carry a unique identifier. Not quite so easy in a building installation, I admit, but BAS makes a good point that ditching colour coding word force electricians to test - the problem is that many people wouldn't bother.

Sponsored Links
Which conductor would you oversleeve in blue?
If, for example, connecting an extractor fan to an existing (red/black) lighting rose I would sleeve the grey SL with brown at the rose and fan and the black with blue at the fan as required, although the fan terminal markings of PL, SL and N are a pretty good clue as to which is which.

That would have been nice, and it was tried, but there simply aren't enough colours.
As I said, I suspected that would be the case.
Using stripes would mean that a colour-blind person would be unable to distinguish the cpc.
As I said a few messages back, if one had different patterns of stripes, everything would be totally distinguishable even to a totally colour-blind person (albeit that's very rare!). Indeed, even for people with normal colour vision, the colours would then actually be redundant - all conductors could be, say, white, with (differing patterns of) black stripes.

Kind Regards, John

Where does "use grey for neutral to get out of the habit of using black" come from?
I've seen/heard it many times, I'm sure at least some times here. I'll see if I can find anything.
It makes no sense (to me) because instead of being unsure whether black is line or neutral, we are now unsure whether the grey is as well.
In the absence of any mandated practice, that uncertainty will always exist - so maybe it's a useful reminder that one has to be uncertain about both.
If joining harmonised and pre-harmonised in an accessory where black is neutral I would connect black to black.
I can understand both viewpoints about that.

Kind Regards, John

I've seen/heard it many times, I'm sure at least some times here.
Ah, yes, seen/heard many times.

I just wondered who started it or where it started and if there actually is a need to disassociate black from neutral as any colour can be identified otherwise.

I just wondered who started it or where it started and if there actually is a need to disassociate black from neutral as any colour can be identified otherwise.
There obviously is not a 'need' if all conductors are correctly identified per the regs. However, we don't live in a perfect world. Mind you, don't forget that I'm just 'the messenger' - I don't think I would ever have come up with this 'need to dissociate black from neutral' idea myself. Indeed, so long as there are old-colour cables out there (and there probably still will be for a very long time to come!), a part of our brain has to remember that, in some situations, black without oversleeving can identify neutral.

Kind Regards, John

I've seen/heard it many times, I'm sure at least some times here. I'll see if I can find anything.

seem to recall it was proposed by the people in charge of street lighting, ILE whoever they are.
At the time there was an article in the profesional electrician magazine

http://www.niceic.com/en/account/media/connections/Connections_151.pdf
page four

You know whats coming don't you?
Is it an attempt to say that the problem was caused by the colour change rather than the bumbling incompetence of the 'electricians'?

The problem was two people working on the same job and not communicationg with each other as to how they were going to do it. Testing before leaving would have shown up this fault.
I have no doubt similar things have happened, where one person has run the cables and connected one end, and then a different person has had to be brought in to finish the job and not checked the circuits of each cable.

Marbo electrium consider grey is the replacement for yellow

And black replacement for blue
In 3c+e cable

It's a free country, so I suppose they are free to be wrong, free to ignore what the actual standard is, and free to lie to people.

Marbo electrium consider grey is the replacement for yellow ... And black replacement for blue
Well, yes, and so does BS7671, but that doesn't really help us much in this discussion (old yellow/blue and new black/grey are all line colours). Do they recommend which of them should be over-sleeved blue if one wants to use it as neutral?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back