Builders used untreated fence posts . . .

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks, wasn't sure where to put this post (forgive the pun). We live in a block of six houses built approx 8 years ago. The builders fenced the gardens with what appeared to be substantial fencing but we are now finding the fence posts are now quickly rotting away. Several posts have fallen in winds and on inspection I can put my finger through the rotten wood at ground level in some posts. In short, it looks like every house will very soon have to replace all their fence posts. Do we have any come back at all from the builders?

Your views would be appreciated. Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Doubtful, you can struggle to get major structural issues sorted. If the panels are OK look to replace the posts with concrete and slot them in.

Sounds like they weren't FFP in the first place.

Were they 3 inch by any chance and are they panels or closeboard?

simple answer

you do not have a contract with the builder who put the fence up unless you bought your house from them
an 8 year old fence will have little chance off any comeback unless its wrongly described in the contract

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies. It is more than a little disappointing that the builders used cheap 'untreated' fence posts that need replacing after just 8 years. Treated fence posts would last . . . . what, 20 years, easy . . . wouldn't they?

They will soon need replacing at considerable cost to all residents.

Thanks for your help.

Thanks for your replies. It is more than a little disappointing that the builders used cheap 'untreated' fence posts that need replacing after just 8 years. Treated fence posts would last . . . . what, 20 years, easy . . . wouldn't they?

They will soon need replacing at considerable cost to all residents.

Thanks for your help.

A lot will depend on the siting of the fence, the local weather conditions and whether they have been installed properly.

Even treated posts can deteriorate 'rapidly' if they are situated in constantly poor weather conditions and the basic steps to protect the posts have not been taken during fitting.

They could have just been poorly treated, some just dip the timber or generally skimp on treatment.

If you replace with timber fence posts, make sure they have quality treatment, you could try ones that are WPA benchmarked (google it).

you will quite likely find these cheap, rotting posts were stuffed into huge but shallow lumps of concrete. If you have ever had to struggle with getting these lumps out, when you need to put a new post in or near the same position, you should resolve only to use concrete posts in future.

Wooden fence posts are about as much use as an underwater hair dryer.

I have never fitted them nor have I ever recommended them. They are the choice of developers because they are cheap and easy to fit and are just enough to sell the house. Treated or un-treated - it makes no difference, they will inevitably rot.

Wooden fence posts are about as much use as an underwater hair dryer.

I have never fitted them nor have I ever recommended them. They are the choice of developers because they are cheap and easy to fit and are just enough to sell the house. Treated or un-treated - it makes no difference, they will inevitably rot.

*properly* treated wooden fence posts will last 30 odd years.

The problem stems from people not willing to pay proper money for posts, and treaters not willing to spend money treating them properly.

I recently had some concrete spurs replaced at my old mum's house.

They had been installed in 1940 or earlier.

So 74 years old and not rotted or failed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back