New fuseboard in shed.

Sponsored Links
If the electrician is not required to actually check that the sockets work then that makes no sense at all because, in effect, the installation is not fit for the purpose [ irrespective of the issue - MCB or whatever it subsequently proves to be] .... If the testing and certification regime does not include such a basic check then all I can say is that the entire system (IMHO) is flawed from the consumer's point of view.
I would not personally disagree with any of that.

I think the problem arises because the 'required tests' (as recorded on the 'required certificates') are all related to safety, not to confirm that the installation is 'fit for purpose'. One would, however, hope that any professional would also address the latter, even though functional testing is not something that has to be done in order to complete all of the 'required', safety-related, paperwork!

KInd Regards, John

Sponsored Links
John - Yes, I agree that the tests mean it will work.
Do I take it you mean that the (standard) tests do not necessarily mean it will work?
However, there isn't, as you have commented in the past, any test for the MCBs so I suppose all you can do is switch on and if the customer has a problem later it will just have to be investigated then. ... We are thinking of an MCB tripping unnecessarily; what about the opposite?
Yes, as you say, I've often observed that one cannot test an MCBs overload functionality. However that does not mean that one cannot, or should not, test to make sure that it doesn't trip when a legitimate load is applied.
As above - all the sockets should be tested, in fact. ... If not by plugging in a kettle but the test equipment and if all is satisfactory then really they can't NOT work.
Surely what we are discussing is a possible scenario in which testing by plugging in your test equipment would not necessary mean that "it can't NOT work" with a real load?

Kind Regards, John

It'll be an incorrectly connected RCD/RCBO
How could that cause an MCB to operate in response to application of a very small load?

In any event, if we are to believe everything we've been told, the MCB in question is supplied by the non-RCD-protected side of a split-load CU.

Kind Regards, John

I'll bet its not a circuit breaker which is tripping either.

First rule of fault finding : disregard everything the customer thinks is wrong.

John - Yes, I agree that the tests mean it will work.
Do I take it you mean that the (standard) tests do not necessarily mean it will work?
No, if all the tests are done then it will work.
I was not counting a faulty MCB.

Yes, as you say, I've often observed that one cannot test an MCBs overload functionality. However that does not mean that one cannot, or should not, test to make sure that it doesn't trip when a legitimate load is applied.
Quite.

Surely what we are discussing is a possible scenario in which testing by plugging in your test equipment would not necessary mean that "it can't NOT work" with a real load?
When Belboz asked I took it to mean the actual socket did not work.
I think now he did mean the whole installation.

Are we totally sure it is an MCB and not RCD which is tripping?
It could be an RCBO on the non-RCD side..

I'll bet its not a circuit breaker which is tripping either. First rule of fault finding : disregard everything the customer thinks is wrong.
I can't disagree with that rule (albeit to implement in a on-line forum!), but, with that caveat ...
Its a volex MCB and CU , will an NSB20 Wylex fit ?

Kind Regards, John

No, if all the tests are done then it will work. I was not counting a faulty MCB.
Hang on! - you can't 'not count' one of the things that would cause the circuit not to work, despite satisfactory 'standard test' results!!!
Are we totally sure it is an MCB and not RCD which is tripping? It could be an RCBO on the non-RCD side..
Well, that's the same question RF is asking/implying - as you both say, if it were an RCBO, then the answer could be simple. What we do have is:
madman41: As you've been asked before, does this volex device have a test button? What is written on it (model/type No. etc.)?

Kind Regards, John

I'll bet its not a circuit breaker which is tripping either. First rule of fault finding : disregard everything the customer thinks is wrong.
I can't disagree with that rule (albeit to implement in a on-line forum!), but, with that caveat ...

Kind Regards, John
The question was asked.

If despite the clear request for clarification the OP has still misled us and it is an MCB, not an RCBO, then it is entirely the responsibility of the OP that he will not get useful help.

No, if all the tests are done then it will work. I was not counting a faulty MCB.
Hang on! - you can't 'not count' one of the things that would cause the circuit not to work, despite satisfactory 'standard test' results!!!
Fair enough - but it could have been alright when fitted.
... but that would be a different situation. I was talking about the situation (possibly like the OP's) in which the circuit was not 'alright' when installed (incapable to supply power to a load), despite satisfactory results from all the standard tests.

Kind Regards, John

Added a picture hope this helps. and no test button on trip switch in house as its an MCB
Ah, I missed that :oops: ... the evidence that it really is an MCB seems to be approaching overwhelming! ... and, relatively unusual though it is, that seems (to me) to make the 'faulty MCB' explanation ablout the only one I can think of.

...If the 16A MCB were not faulty, yet was operating 'immediately' (a range of) things like phone chargers were plugged into the circuit, where would the very considerable current needed to cause that 'immediate' MCB operation be going, and why?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back