Jobsworth

If I can't leave a circuit or the part of it I've worked on fully compliant with regs when I've finished my work then I walk away.
So you feel you can only replace a switch if the entire circuit is compliant with current regs?

I never said current regs.

The installation in the op has clearly been bodged and I for one have no interest in getting involved with an installation like that.

Sponsored Links
Is it really worth risking your a**e and all the hassle that goes with it for a few quid?
I can't be sure, but I would hope that if, heaven forbid, this little old lady got electrocuted because you'd refused to replace her damaged switch on the grounds that you didn't know if the cable connected to it complied with the regulations, that in the coroners court you would receive such a savaging that your reputation really would be destroyed.

So I'm dammed if I do, dammed if I don't?

I might as well switch my phone off and just sit at home. :rolleyes:

So you feel you can only replace a switch if the entire circuit is compliant with current regs?
I never said current regs. ... The installation in the op has clearly been bodged and I for one have no interest in getting involved with an installation like that.
OK - so what about all the other questions I asked?

Kind Regards, John

Swap a socket front on a circuit without RCD or cables out of the zone, if it's an older circuit which predates these requirements then I would, but advise the customer about the none compliance.

If I found the socket had no earth for example, then it gets rewired properly to current regs, or someone else can have the job with my pleasure.

Sponsored Links
You lazy and pointless waste of space.

Love you too.

I don't know why you've bothered to post this thread. You've clearly made up your mind that the electrician is wrong, and as per usual you are right and no one can have a differing opinion.

I've told you I wouldn't do the job, as has lectrician. I'm not now getting drawn into 15 pages of what about this and what about that scenarios while you try and trip me up just to prove you're right.

Swap a socket front on a circuit without RCD or cables out of the zone, if it's an older circuit which predates these requirements then I would, but advise the customer about the none compliance. ... If I found the socket had no earth for example, then it gets rewired properly to current regs, or someone else can have the job with my pleasure.
Fair enough - that's reasonable.

Were single-insulated singles never compliant under any edition of the regs?

Kind Regards, John

I don't know why you've bothered to post this thread.
Err - Actually I started it.

What doesn't make sense is you bothering to post in it when you cannot be rsed to become properly engaged.

You've clearly made up your mind that the electrician is wrong, and as per usual you are right and no one can have a differing opinion.
People can have different opinions, but I expect them to be properly thought out, and intelligent and logical and consistent.

I've told you I wouldn't do the job, as has lectrician. I'm not now getting drawn into 15 pages of what about this and what about that scenarios while you try and trip me up just to prove you're right.
You cannot be tripped up if your position is logical, reasoned, and consistent.

But when you start saying that you could be imprisoned if you change a light switch on a circuit where the sheath of the T/E has been cut back beyond the box, and then pretend that the right way to deal with a post which questions that claim is to say you can't be bothered to read it then you are a *******************

Me too. I don't think I would get evolved with a job like that if I wasn't reasonably confident that the rest of the installation wasn't bodged, potentially dangerous and never complied to BS7671

Me too. I don't think I would get evolved with a job like that if I wasn't reasonably confident that the rest of the installation wasn't bodged, potentially dangerous and never complied to BS7671
I'm very interested, and rather surprised, at some of the views being expressed here. ... so what would you advise the owner of this home if, say, they just wanted the switches changed - that, since you couldn't be sure about what was going on in the rest of the installation, that they ought to have a complete re-wire (or, at least, ought to have every buried cable dug out for inspection)?

Kind Regards, John

Were single-insulated singles never compliant under any edition of the regs?
I wouldn't be surprised if they were, a long time ago.

But electricians are not expected to know the entire history of the Wiring Regulations so that they can determine if something did comply when it was done in the past. They are expected to know the current version so that they can comply with it in the work which they do.

A missing earth on a socket circuit or on a lighting circuit when fitting a metal switch or a Class I luminaire means that they can't do their work properly because the accessory etc will not be safe.

An incorrectly routed cable, for example, does not mean that the accessory or luminaire won't be safe and therefore cannot be a logical reason to refuse to install it.

I doubt he will answer - he fears, with good reason, that he will trip himself up. He will probably deal with questions he's afraid to answer by ignoring them or saying he can't be bothered to read them.

I doubt he will answer - he fears, with good reason, that he will trip himself up. He will probably deal with questions he's afraid to answer by ignoring them or saying he can't be bothered to read them.
Well, he has answered, so you can stop this unjustified onslaught you seem to have decided to launch on him. I haven't met many people who are as intolerant as you to those whose views differ from yours.

Kind Regards.

It's not his views being different to mine which I cannot tolerate.

It's him stating views which are, on the face of it, not intelligently arrived at, not logical, not consistent, and then when asked to explain why they are those things, when asked to explain why he intelligently, logically and consistently believes that he could be sent to prison if he changes a light switch when the cable has had the sheath cut back too far, says that he can't be bothered.

Sorry - but that is ******* outrageous. Join in a discussion or not. State your position or not. These are all valid choices. But to start to join in and then not commit to it, not do it properly? Utterly unacceptable.

when asked to explain why he intelligently, logically and consistently believes that he could be sent to prison if he changes a light switch when the cable has had the sheath cut back too far, says that he can't be bothered.

I don't have to explain anything as I didn't say that.

Yet again you're twisting things to suit your agenda because you can not be wrong.

The only thing I can't be bothered to do is read though your endless multi quote posts because I've learned that as soon as they appear the thread is dead and buried.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back