urgent help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello chaps

I am in a situation where my plumber is trying to charge over the odds because he is the only person who knows where the mains shutoff is - I believe he's overcharged me off a few times in the past, I got another much fairer price from another guy, but he can't come without me knowing where the shut off is...

Ive been trying locate it today..I live in a ground floor converted house, I noticed a pipe new the main front door between my flat and upstairs..Theres a tap on it, so I turned it and it started dripping, so I turned it back and now its still dripping, whichever way I turn it, have a bucket there now..

What can I do to stop this?

Not sure how to put an image in this post, I have added two pics of the tap to my album

Please help I'm having a mare here!?

:)
[/img]

Sponsored Links
Turning that tap fully clockwise will stop the leak from its gland, but it will also isolate whatever the pipe is feeding.
I've never heard of a plumber who would keep your stopcock location a secret!
There's info on the site about repacking tap glands.
John :)

Turning it entirely clockwise caused it to leak a lot, anti clockwise it had a real slow drip and seems to have stopped now, not sure what the tap is even for tbh...Hopefully I haven't turned the neighbors supply off, have to ask them, all I did was turn the bloody thing..Will have to get a plumber for it I think, least I don't have to use the conman for that particular job

He's keeping it secret because he's charging me a hundred quid more than the other chap and knows I will have to go with him if nobody else knows where the shutoff is...suffice to say, may have to use him now and will then never ever use him again... :(

Sponsored Links
For a £100 i'd either find it or freeze it and fit another for you. Is there not one in the street ?

We have a outside stop tap, Victorian house.

I'd bet someone a £100 that they couldn't find it.

I only found it by accident and I'm not sure if anyone else (house owner) knows where it is!

Send me £100 and your address and I'll send someone round to find it for you

(Call your water company)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back