magic eye tvlink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi.... a few days ago I bought a tvlink to change channels on my sky in another room. It worked fine when I first installed it, I could use the remote to changed channels etc. I turned off the second tv at night, and come morning when I turned it on the tvlink wouldn't work. I have tried all the " fixes " on the internet.
1 plugged the tvlink directly into the back of the sky+ box led light comes on.
2 checked the two coaxial connectors ok
3 turned off the rf2 channel and turned on again
when I connect the tvlink to the end of the cable on my second tv no light comes on. The run of cable is 12mtrs long and it is new sky aerial cable. What I did not do when I first connected was check the led light, but it must have been li for the remote to work.
help please
mickcoulson

Sponsored Links
If the magic eye lights up when connected to the sky box, but doesn't at the other end of your new extension cable, then logic suggests the new cable or connectors are at fault.

If the magic eye lights up when connected to the sky box, but doesn't at the other end of your new extension cable, then logic suggests the new cable or connectors are at fault.
the cable must be ok, I am getting a perfect picture...so connections ??

Sponsored Links
As sam Gangee alludes the behaviour of a cable at DC (used to power the magic eye) can be very different to the behaviour at hundreds of megahertz (used for TV signals). A small gap will totally block DC but will pass at least some signal at UHF TV frequencies and UHF TV being designed as a broadcast signal is very tolerant of signal loss.

On the other side a single strand of wire shorting out the connection will kill the DC magic eye power and while it will cause substantial loss at UHF it probablly won't kill the TV signal (see above comment about being very tolerant of loss)

If it's brand new cable i'd think it's far more likely the terminations than the cable itself. You need to carefully check to make sure there are low resistance connctions on both core and shield and there are no shorts. Ideally you want to be using plugs that have a grub screw to ensure a solid DC connection to the center core rather than just relying on it touching the inside of a tube.

As sam Gangee alludes the behaviour of a cable at DC (used to power the magic eye) can be very different to the behaviour at hundreds of megahertz (used for TV signals). A small gap will totally block DC but will pass at least some signal at UHF TV frequencies and UHF TV being designed as a broadcast signal is very tolerant of signal loss.

On the other side a single strand of wire shorting out the connection will kill the DC magic eye power and while it will cause substantial loss at UHF it probablly won't kill the TV signal (see above comment about being very tolerant of loss)

If it's brand new cable i'd think it's far more likely the terminations than the cable itself. You need to carefully check to make sure there are low resistance connctions on both core and shield and there are no shorts. Ideally you want to be using plugs that have a grub screw to ensure a solid DC connection to the center core rather than just relying on it touching the inside of a tube.
thanks...can I buy special low resistance connectors ?

If you have a smart phone then the Sky+ app renders magic eyes useless. I have taken them all out of the house now and just use the phone to control the box.

If you have a smart phone then the Sky+ app renders magic eyes useless. I have taken them all out of the house now and just use the phone to control the box.
The smart app is quite neat. The caveats though are the speed of the first connection and the fact that not everyone has a smartphone or has their Sky box hooked up to their router.

The smart app is a good alternative control method. But do I want to dump out of reading emails or chatting on social media just to pause the Sky box? Each to their own of course, but I find that the eyes are a direct, low tech solution that works through the existing wiring infrastructure; and there's a lot to be said for keeping it simple. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back