What wire for electric oven ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys :)

Newbie here, could really do with some advice.

I've just bought a new Zanussi ZCV68310XA 60cm Electric Cooker in Stainless steel here:

http://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p/zcv68310xa/zanussi-zcv68310xa-60cm-electric-cooker

I need to install this into the wall, I took my old one out, 3 simple wires, done, but since the new wiring in the kitchen and this new unit I am now at a loss as to what to do.

I went to B&Q to get some wire, while looking I found 3 wire packs, 4 wire packs, some were 2400w some were 7000w so I left it and I have come here hopefully for some advice.

I simply cannot afford the £129 for someone to come and put the wire in for me :(

If someone could tell me:

1) What amp and watt wire I need that would be suitable for this oven for me to purchase

and

2) What wire goes where lol.

I have read online its as simple as wiring a plug but without knowing what strength wire to get I didn't want to take a gamble on this new oven.

I have some pics below which I hope can help someone give me some pointers.

Many thanks in advance :)

Matt.

1_Electric_Oven.jpg

2_Wall_Outlet.jpg

3_Oven_Electrics.jpg

Sponsored Links
The device will come with instructions and these will tell you what type of cable you need. What does it say?

or

What is the rating of the cooker in amps?. This will be on a plate on the back of the cooker, or on the side panel as you open the door.

As for how to connect it up. your cooker is ready to be cabled up and it has been configured for the UK. The top drawing oin your picture clearly shows where the L, N and earth cables go. If you cannot understand that then (with respect) I suggest that paying £129 might be a safer bet.

... or ... What is the rating of the cooker in amps?. This will be on a plate on the back of the cooker, or on the side panel as you open the door.
The spec says:
Connected load (W) 11300 W ... Fuse size (A) 30 A
As for how to connect it up. your cooker is ready to be cabled up and it has been configured for the UK. The top drawing oin your picture clearly shows where the L, N and earth cables go. If you cannot understand that then (with respect) I suggest that paying £129 might be a safer bet.
It's difficult to disagree with that.

Kind Regards, John

Get some 6mm cable from b&q

Connect brown to L
Blue to N
Green/yellow bare wire to the earth symbol

The outlet on the wall has been fitted upside down. Try and turn it round.
Use the cable clamps provided to hold the wire

Sponsored Links
If this cooker is a replacement, then what happened to the cable used to connect the old one?

Get some 6mm cable from b&q ... Connect brown to L ... Blue to N ... Green/yellow bare wire to the earth symbol
Do I take it that you are advising the use of T+E, rather than flex, to connect the cooker? [if so, the 'bare wire' obviously needs to have green/yellow sleeving put on it]

Kind Regards, John.

Yes I don't think b&q sell flex. If you can find it post a link up.

Yes I don't think b&q sell flex. If you can find it post a link up.
I don't think B&Q do sell flex that big - but I wouldn't say that, in itself, was necessarily a particularly good reason for using T+E.

Kind Regards, John

Hey guys.

Thanks a lot for the info, very much appreciated.

OK to answer some questions.

It appears I edited the wall image upside down by mistake, I can confirm its the other way round on the wall.

In the manual it says:

Covering Terminal Board
The recommended cross-section area is six square millimetres (6 mm2).

Does that mean I need 6mm cable ?

There is no other information in the manual regarding suitable cable, watts, amps or anything.

Ohh sticker inside says ...

220-240v / 50hz
kW max = 11,3

No mention of amps though ?

The cooker is a brand new replacement, I literally opened the box and noticed that the grill element in the top oven has fallen on one side so I am waiting for an exchange coming on Wednesday.

Can someone tell me what FLEX is please ? and, based on the information we have now, does anyone have a link to a suitable lead ? I'll bake you a nice cake when its working :D

Thanks in advance

Covering Terminal Board
The recommended cross-section area is six square millimetres (6 mm2).

Does that mean I need 6mm cable ?

Of course it does. It means that you need 6mm² cable.
Ideally use flexible cable, but you'll have trouble finding that in the sheds. You would need an electrical wholesaler.
Twin & earth is not ideal but its what most people use. (Oh yes they do!)

Also make sure your connection are tight both ends otherwise you can have problems in the future.
Also if this was me installing I would only charge £50 and I would supply the cable so not sure where you are getting £129 from.

Thanks

Also if this was me installing I would only charge £50 and I would supply the cable so not sure where you are getting £129 from.
My understanding is that £129 is the "installation charge" charged by the supplier (Appliances Direct). Don't forget that the guy actually doing the installation work probably won't get even £50 of that!

KInd Regards, John

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I have checked this morning and no where in the manual or on the cooker itself does it mention cable types, it just says it must be installed by a qualified electrician.

Thanks a lot for the link, that's exactly what I was looking for, i'll grab 2 meters of that later then and hopefully that will be problem solved :)

Really appreciate all the help from everyone here, this will have saved me £120+ I don't have.

I did look to subscribe to the forum yesterday but couldn't see where ? if there is a subscription please let me know, wouldn't have got this far without your help and advice.

Cheers :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back