aerial splitter problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, hopefully one of you great guys can help me with what I think is a strange problem. I have recently moved house. There is one roof aerial and what I assume is some sort of splitter on the chimney. I have a TV in bedrooms 1, 2 and 3. The TVs in bedrooms 2 and 3 only get a signal when TV 1 is switched on. Surely this isn't right. Your thoughts on this would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Here's my guess:-

The previous owners have stolen the power supply so the masthead amplifier only works when your TV1 is sending power up the cable. (You are rather lucky to have a TV that does that.) To test my guess, look in the TV menu for an "aerial power" setting and turn it off.

You could install your own separate masthead power supply to avoid having to leave the TV on.
http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/booster_index.htm

If I'm wrong, we'll need more information about the device on the mast.

BTW the masthead PSU is part of the "fixtures and fittings" because the aerial system can't work without it. Therefore you should always leave it behind when you move house. Failure to do so could be classed as breach of contract. I would be contacting my solicitor and asking him to get the previous owners to pay for a replacement.

People often take the PSU because they mistake it for a "booster". Part of this could be the installer not explaining the role of the various devices. I have to say though, many times just trying to help a customer understand the concept of phantom power and that "yes, this is how it really works; and no, it's not 240 Volts up the aerial" it's no wonder that these things are described as boosters just for the sake of simplicity. :LOL:

Thanks Sam, While I have no idea about these things I think your right, although I couldn't find a setting for "aerial power" I think the tv just does this as when I try to use a youview box nothing works but when the aerial is in the tv and it is switched on the youview works in the other rooms. I believe I now need to buy a psu. Is this something I could fit in the bedroom or do I need to call out the aerial guys to go on the roof? If I can do this my self could you recommend one please as I haven't got a clue, even after looking at your link.
Thanks.
I have also attached a photo of the splitter? on my roof. I took the photo from my back yard and that's as close to it as I'm going to be able to get as I am no ladder climber. I don't know if that helps you any but at least you can see what it is.
[/img]

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back