Data Storage.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Quick question: for backing up data, is an external hard drive more or less reliable long-term than a memory stick?

Granted that you get far more on a hard drive, but it's just for letters and pics so a number of memory sticks is not a problem.

Sponsored Links
Very debatable.

Personally I'd be driven by cost and select the cheapest option, it sounds like you don't need that much storage. Also worth keeping the back up off site in case of theft/fire.

Regularly test the back up media whatever you choose, as in the event of disaster it's a right pain if the backup doesn't do its job.

Consider cloud based back up if you really want low hassle. Crashplan is highly recommended.

My set up is a NAS in the cellar which mirrors to a PC in an outbuilding, on top of this really important stuff like photos are also backed up in the cloud.

You can buy a 32gb USB stick for a tenner, so buy a few and double back-up, re-writing them is what wears them out, but they are only "proven" for 10-20 years.

If you are really paranoid, also consider cloud storage.

I can provide some real info.
I have retained the hdd's from my PCs down the years.
Can still access and copy files from 1990 ! Some drives have been stored? in an unheated garage since then...
All Dell stuff remains accessable since 1995 - PC's discarded purely due to age.
I have found some CD stuff unreadable after being stored in quite favourable conditions over similar period - not cheap options in their day.

Several Laptop hdd's (kids) still read and write fine from 1999.

Bought the wife a not inexpensive flash or pen drive in late 90's - still in use.

64 GB Sandisk flash bought in 2008 - going good.

Most of the above subject to perhaps a little more than average use.

-0-

Sponsored Links
I had the same with some of the older CDs, it looks like the ink that the track was burnt to has run.

I've had memory sticks go bad. Hard disks seem much more reliable.

Now I use two external hard drives to make backups. Both identical. I use them in turn. I just backup everything. Keep one off site, and the other near to hand but not connected.

I also keep archival copies of stuff like my financial records, and scans of family photos etc. with online storage.

I stopped using DVDs for backup a while back. I was using them mostly for images, and the DVDs I burned 10 years ago are still working.

I used to have a list of the best CD / DVD media for backups bookmarked. It looks as if that page has gone. Plenty of info if you search online though. Even some of the media from manufacturers you would think are OK can be less than archival quality. It's worth checking.

They say that if data doesn't exist in three separate places, then it doesn't actually exist. . .

Thanks for all the replies guys. Will probably play safe and use harddrives, sticks and will now also look into cloud.
Thanks.

Back