Why did'nt the RCD trip? dedicated oven circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1. Think that our old lecky oven (freestanding ceramic/glass 4 ring double oven) is kapput. Missus saw a spark at one of the hob rings and allo the lights went out. :eek: :?: Have live allo the way to the cooker (batteries in me multi meter dead :oops: )
The cooker connection cable splits at the rear connection block into presumably separate circuits for each element.
Would you recommend a new oven?
2. If there is a fault... then why didn't the RCD trip?

Just that she (who must be obeyed) thinks it can be repaired.
I'd like to have sum back up here folks... a categorical.. "it's knackered and irreparable or not worth fixing coz summat else will probably go... if it was a horse it would be shot!"

At least it's a chippy tea tonight! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Very little to go wrong with electric cookers. Sounds like a failed connection to me. I certainly wouldn't be throwing it away without having a look and seeing what's involved to repair it.

Thanks. I'll av to charge me batteries for me meter then.... need it anyhows 2moz 2 port valve failure on an s plan. What fun :p

1 ... Missus saw a spark at one of the hob rings and allo the lights went out. :eek: ... 2. If there is a fault... then why didn't the RCD trip?
When you say 'the lights went out', do you mean in the cooker, or in the kitchen? If the latter, if that wasn't due to an RCD tripping, what did cause it?

More generally, only faults to earth will cause an RCD to trip, so there are all sorts of faults which can occur without an RCD tripping.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Thank-you very much for your reply John... moocho apreciato!
No, the lights on the cooker timer display went out. Not the grd flr ceiling lights. The cooker circuit is radial 32Amp run to switch.. then on to ccu then HR flex to cooker. There is live all the way to the cooker. Tested it with mains live screwdriver tester. Havn't tested completely L-N/E as still charging 9v battery for my meter. :oops: Left it turned on.
Please excuse my somewhat limited knowledge, I'm a plumber. I usually just put controls (pumps, zone valves etc) in the correct place and get my mate Eddie The Spark to do the wiring and certification.
Just that as the house is 25 years old n the cooker was in situ when me 'nt missus (Atillah) purchased it 8 years ago. The cooker was last moved for cleaning behind 6 months ago. Don't shout at me for being un-hygeinic! The floor is lino and besides I often put my hands where the sun don't shine :LOL: No alterations (drilling... fixing wall nor base units, no fixing thru boards... ) nowt that could have compromised the fixed wiring. The counter top switch is always left on and nowt has been spilt down the back towards the ccu!?
Totally befuddled! :oops:

Thank-you very much for your reply John... moocho apreciato! ... No, the lights on the cooker timer display went out. Not the grd flr ceiling lights. The cooker circuit is radial 32Amp run to switch.. then on to ccu then HR flex to cooker. There is live all the way to the cooker.
Thanks for clarifying.
Totally befuddled! :oops:
It certainly sounds as if something has happened in/to the cooker - but, as has been said, it could be something very simple, like a connection which has come loose or a switch which has failed. It could even be that an internal fuse of some sort has blown. I certainly agree that it would be worth looking into it, or getting someone to look into it, before deciding to throw it out - as has been said, the electrics of cookers is very simple, so there's not really much that can go wrong!

Kind Regards, John

John... you are anabsolute gem!!! TY TY..TY. :D
Internal fuse. Then go from there. Test circuit at cooker where HR flex connects, between all connections 4 rings at hob 1 x cicuit to bottom oven and 1 x circuit to top oven. Locate internal fuse and change. Bottom left ring on hob... turn on = blown fuse... locate break... reconstitute integrity test again.... jobs a goodun!?

And I was looking forward to another chippy tea tomorrow. Never I mind... early doors oert road at pub instead.

I'll drink to your health n let you know hoe things go!

Cheers, pal!

Just a thought!?? Dodgy switch for bottom left ring!?

Lemme see if I can locate fault first.

Thanks again!

John... you are anabsolute gem!!! TY TY..TY. :D ... Internal fuse. Then go from there. Test circuit at cooker where HR flex connects, between all connections 4 rings at hob 1 x cicuit to bottom oven and 1 x circuit to top oven. Locate internal fuse and change. Bottom left ring on hob... turn on = blown fuse... locate break... reconstitute integrity test again.... jobs a goodun!?
... Just a thought!?? Dodgy switch for bottom left ring!? Lemme see if I can locate fault first.
I'm glad to hear that you are making progress, but I'm a bit confused - have you cured the problem or not? What was the 'break' that you located and rectified?

Kind Regards, John

Tools down and glass up 90 mins ago. There's always the microwave. I'll let ya know.

Thanks again!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back