flue for old style 60's type gas fire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My aunt wants an old style gas fire (eg flavel misermatic) to be installed by a gas fitter. BUT there isn't a chimney stack on the wall, the engineer could put a hole through the wall (1930's 9" solid wall detached house)...................is this allowable or must there be a chimney stack to fit it into?

Sponsored Links
I'm sorry but I can't help it :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: PMSL
Don't you mean Cannon Misermatic?

Cannon fires ceased to exist years ago.They were drafted into the Flavel range.

OP: Are you serious? If you are, of course you can't. You could investigate a BALANCED FLUE fire, or a Selkirk IL internal flue system. (If you have deep pockets)

Cannon fires ceased to exist years ago
I was aware of that, but as the op mentioned old style I thought it could be Cannon. I was hoping my sarcasm would prompt an answer from Diyedboy.

I'll get me coat.

Sponsored Links
Yes lads, of course I'm being serious, I can buy the fire brand new for £350 but if it needs a chimney stack to exhaust into as opposed to a 5" hole straight through the wall (obviously the wall is external) then it's a nonstarter. What do think?

Fireman T, your comment is neither helpful or unhelpful, please embrace the joy that is the written word and explain further (if you have any knowledge that is!!!!!!!)

These are designed to be installed in a proper fire place opening with brick built or pre-cast chimney. Alternatively a purpose made flue box with fabricated vertical flue pipe.

What is it you propose. Are you asking to just shove a horizontal hole behind it and terminate at the external wall?

Fireman T has already given you all of the information you asked for, and some helpful advice which you didn't. :rolleyes:

OP: Are you serious? If you are, of course you can't. You could investigate a BALANCED FLUE fire, or a Selkirk IL internal flue system. (If you have deep pockets)

If your aunt finds that the cost of installing this b£350 fire is going to be £2400 because a new chimney needs to be constructed then will she still want to proceed?

Tony

A mentally rounded man should be able to admit when he is at fault, so it is only right that I embrace the joy of the written word and acknowledge the useful information that Fireman T gave me re the balanced flue wall heater and apologise for the little 'tickle 'I gave him.

I think the way to go is the balanced flue wall heater as you only need a hole through the wall, I'm looking for 5kw or a bit higher, any recommendations?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back