Tiling on top of existing tiles?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI all, I've strayed in here from the decorator's forum in the hope of some good advice about floor tiling.

Our kitchen floor is currently tiled with 30 cm x 30 cm smooth, flat ceramic tiles with 5 mm grout lines on top of asphalt (laid originally as damp proof treatment). The correct adhesive was used for the purpose and they are very firm and level.

Is there any reason why we should not lay new tiles on top of the existing ones (rather than breaking them up, which I think would be a pig of a job and damage the asphalt?) And any advice about things to be careful about when re-tiling?

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
You can lay on top as long as you dont mind the increased level.

Apply a slurry coat first - this is a mix of dry floor adhesive and acrylic bonding agent. just paint this on and let it dry, then tile as normal.

Use a single part flexi adhesive.

You can lay on top as long as you dont mind the increased level.

Apply a slurry coat first - this is a mix of dry floor adhesive and acrylic bonding agent. just paint this on and let it dry, then tile as normal.

Use a single part flexi adhesive.
Many thanks!

Another question : if using same size tiles, would it be better to lay them exactly over the existing ones,i.e. with the groutlines in the same places, or to vary it? (This would involve cutting them all as existing whole ones start at the wall and stop just behind the kickboards).

Thanks to anyone who helps!

Sponsored Links
really wont matter either way. TBH just forget that the base is tiles once you actually start with the job. Lay your cuts properly to suit the new floor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back