Artrex ceiling leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had a leak in our toilet upstairs and as a result artrex ceiling sagged. We called a plumber who stopped the leak but then when he pushed the ceiling a section collapsed and came down. He cleared the debris and removed the board and took it away leaving a hole behind. His colleague came after 2 days and put a new board in and plastered. I am embarrasses to admit I did not realise artrex ceiling could have asbestos. I called the plumber yesterday and this thought had not even occurred to him. I am now concerned. We cannot do anything now but has what has been too risky? The house was made mid 1970s?

Sponsored Links
Nothing you can do now, the builder should have disposed of it correctly but too late to do anything about it. Artex is a relativity low asbestos content but it's not the sort of thing you want to shake on your cornflakes! Damp Artex is much less likely to spread fibres, wetting is the recommended way of treating it for removal.
I would suggest getting the ceilings in the house tested for future information, you may well find that you are lucky and the texturing was done more recently and might just be Polytex or similar.

http://www.arca.org.uk/

Link is to asbestos approved removal companies but most do testing too.

Thanks for comments. My wife tells me that all furniture etc was removed before it came down, and the material which came down was wet due to leak. Plumber collected it in plastic sheet and took it way, and then my wife cleaned the floor using wet wibes and disposed. We are worried now although cannot do anything but hope it did not have asbestos, or because it was wet, low risk.

Sounds like you cleaned up OK by default ;) I am paranoid about the stuff but I don't think I would loose sleep over your incident :D

As I said might be a good plan to get the ceilings tested in case you need to have work done in the future so you know what you are dealing with :D

Sponsored Links
Thanks. This guy left the hole for 4 days! Asbestos fibres could have come down, and I believe in ceiling voids there is normally pure asbestos. Really stressed and angry now.

Dont be over thinking things, l must have ripped down hundreds of ceilings that could have had asbestos in. We wasnt told about it
And l also worked in the gas industry in the early seventies and a lot of the pipes were lagged with it. I have walked thru the work shop and you couldnt see thru the dust half the time. So get it checked out and try not to worry yourself ;)

There is only asbestos in the Artex which is a thin coat on the plasterboard ceiling, there will be no asbestos in the void its self. Loft insulation is Rockwool or Glassfibre itchy stuff yes but NOT asbestos.

There are rare examples of asbestos being used as loose fill insulation or as pipe insulation but in 40 odd years of working in lofts I have never come across it!

The only place that might have been common is industrial buildings, not domestic and not 1970 built.

Sometimes asbestos sheet might have been used as a ceiling material in 1920- 1950 properties but it is easy to identify and would have been almost impervious to a water leak.

Really, as roy c says don't over-think it or ruminate about possible problems. ;)

I worked with the stuff for years completely ignorant of the risks, chomping on my sandwiches with hands covered in the stuff, and fingers crossed I am still here ;)

Thanks both. Reassuring.

2 more issues where getting insights would be great.

1. We had someone ran our garage bitumen felt roof. He had to clear algae, moss and used jet water and brush. I have been reading that these might have asbestos, and should not be jet washed. To make matters worse, he packed the waste in large bags, and asked my wife to throw these off. she had to deal with repacking and dispose over few weeks, and had exposure to dust. It all sounds very stupid thing to do but we were ignorant. I guess limited risk given that roof is in good condition but not ideal.

2. Few years ago we installed collapsible front gate and windows for security. Guys came in, drilled through inside and external walls, and an inside beam. Also drilled screws into window sills. Again not very smart thing to do since there clearly was dust. I know it is impossible to say if asbestos dust could have been generated, but given that it is mid 1970s property, what is the likely risk? The guys never wore masks themselves.

Sorry I sound paranoid. We are very careful and conservative when it comes to safety, and feel angry at not being aware of risks.

Some bitumen felt does contain asbestos that is true, but not all.
For example I had the under tile (sarking) felt on my roof as well as an old lean to roof and I also had the DPC felt tested before some works were carried out. Both the shed and the main roof sarking felt were clear, while the DPC tested positive for asbestos. As a rule it is considered one of the safer products because the fibres are firmly bonded into the bitumen, power washing is not really a good idea but the likelihood of fibres being released is very low the main source of contamination would be from heavily weathered edges that might start to show fibres in extreme cases.

Short answer none!
Brick, mortar and window frames in a 1970's house would not contain asbestos.

The places to look out for it would be any panels put in for fireproofing, eg, boiler cupboards, garage roofs. Old boiler flues, Artex coating, Thermoplastic tiles (marley floor tiles) roofing slate substitutes and possibly concrete tiles as well as soffits (the bit under the overhang to the gutters) sounds a lot but OK if left alone and sealed with paint.

Thanks. I looked around the house and found there are two boards attached to the back of boiler room and hot water tank. I guess these would be AIBS? These seem to be screwed on to the door although I cannot see the screws since painted over. We have been using boiler room regularly to store and access things like brooms, shopping bags etc. On few places, the paint seem to have come off exposing a whitish material below. Is that dangerous? For now I have sealed through a tape. There is a top and bottom airing windows which also show damages around edges? Any suggestions. Should I get the two doors removed after testing or repaint etc.

Don't worry too much, very common for the paint to get scratched off very little asbestos will be released unless you start gouging bit's out.

If the fireproofing is no longer required due to the boiler being moved then easiest way is remove the door complete and replace, only thing is you need to know what type of board it is, If it is AC then it can be disposed of at most local tips as long as it is double wrapped in plastic, if it is AIB then only a licensed contractor can deal with it.

There are alternatives for fireproofing now that are asbestos free, if you need to maintain the fireproofing. The tape will be fine till you decide what to do, remember asbestos is not a danger till you cut, abrade, or sand it, and inhale the dust, in fact there is some suggestions that consuming it on food is harmless but I certainly wouldn't advise it ;)

It's not radioactive or toxic to touch or be near and can be washed off your hands.

Best wishes,
footprints

Thanks very much. :)

I am going through cycles of relief and anxiety. With a small child in house, I do keep worrying about what might have happened, although it is futile at this stage.

Should I go in for a management survey - to protect myself against anything in furture, and potentially put my fears at rest to whatever extent possible?

In particular, I am thinking of getting a view about possibility of asbestos in: artrex (a portion was removed since damaged with water leak), lining in couple of cupboards, ceramic kitchen tiles (old - 1970s), window frames where some drilling was done, ceiling voids (ceiling void hole was left open for few days for drying, before putting another board in place of water damaged piece), bitumen felt (where power washing was done with debris left to be cleared by wife over many days).

Any suggestions - is management survey any good given they might not access many places. Also could it actually distrub asbestos further since they will take samples, open floorboards etc...

thanks

I wouldn't worry about ceramic tiles would not even think about them containing asbestos, unless they were part of some industrial construction like a furnace. The only ones I know of are some manufactured roofing slates / tiles and thermoplastic the floor ones (often brown) so common in flats and home built from the 60's on. They are fine if left alone tens of thousands of council homes have them if it was a real risk councils and housing associations would be in a state of panic about health and safety ;)

As to surveys well I can see the dilemma do you have somebody in to disturb it, take your own sample or bury your head in the sand!

It's up to you but an expert taking a sample should not pose any risk from the disturbed asbestos, that's what he is trained to do.

As I have said the main construction of brick cement and timber poses no risk it is very very unlikely to show up other than the areas I mentioned before, just be careful of any panels of material that might be designed to provide fire protection.

Thanks. yes, I need to decide about survey. - perhaps as part of renovating kitchen, changing boiler etc .

You had said window panels of the 1970s are not likely to have asbestos . I was reading that panel infills may have them. When we got security grills installed, they had to drill towards the top of the windows, and I remember that when they grilled, a crack appeared on the portion of the wall above window, and there was dust generated. They completed the job and then re-painted. Could they have drilled an AIB above the window? It appears to be a normal wall but the sound when I tap is different. I know one cannot tell but what are the chances of wall portion above window having asbestos in a 1970s house. I can load pictures. Any insights would be welcome.

Some piccies would be good but I can't see security grills being fixed into asbestos sheet total waste of time. Yes the thin panels some houses have below the window in a frame rather like the window above are sometimes asbestos.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back