Does small rewiring job require updating consumer unit?

Indeed, I hadn't even though of the clipping :LOL: .

The reasons I was thinking DPC level are:
a) visual - having ducting going around the front of the house at anyhwere near eye level wouldn't exactly be attractive, and
b) to avoid going in down through the flashing at the edge of flat roof which over time could present a potential drip along the bonding gravity fed route to the CU.

OK, so a 3rd alternative. Is under the paving outside acceptable? Yet another thing that is on the 'to do' list is either resurfacing or relaying of the driveway and the footpath at the front of the house. So, if go with relaying, there would be the opportunity to lay a duct for the bonding under the new surface, around the outside of the house to the garage. Would then come out at the garage door, through single leaf brickwork into the garage, and at the kitchen end go up over the DP and through the external wall to meet the water intake in the kitchen. Sound reaosnable?

Sponsored Links
The reasons I was thinking DPC level are:
a) visual - having ducting going around the front of the house at anyhwere near eye level wouldn't exactly be attractive, and
b) to avoid going in down through the flashing at the edge of flat roof which over time could present a potential drip along the bonding gravity fed route to the CU.
Fair enough. Your (a) is, of course, the usual objection that people have (it wouldn't necessarily have to be in ducting, but green/yellow cable isn't very pretty, either!). I personally would probably be happy with 'dpc level', but was merely pointing out that some people might think that it exposed the cable to damage. However, it could be the way to go (if the 'pulling through' fails), so I think you should discuss that with your electrician.
OK, so a 3rd alternative. Is under the paving outside acceptable? ...
That would probably open up lots more cans of worms (perhaps literally!), so I think you would probably be better off trying to pursue the 'dpc level' possibility!

Kind Regards, John

OK ;).

An internal pull through would definitely be best for me but at least I know what the options and requirements are now (of which coloured cable around the house isn't one :LOL:).

Thanks so much for all the advice. It has really helped :D .

An internal pull through would definitely be best for me ...
It's certainly worth a try, but you need to have your Plan B ready to go in case it fails - you might get to an irreversible 'point of no return' with the pulling!
... but at least I know what the options and requirements are now (of which coloured cable around the house isn't one :LOL:).
If you have a small paintbrush, you could always paint it mortar coloured :)
Thanks so much for all the advice. It has really helped :D .
You're welcome.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
:LOL: hadn't thought of wire theft!
It's unfortunately something one has to think about these days - but I would have thought that someone would have to be very hard up to be bothered to pinch a small handful of metres of single 10mm² cable! However, the roof flashing to which you previously referred, if lead, might be a different matter!

Kind Regards, John

Well, it's old, and past its "best by", but other than that it looks to be in very good condition - if the rest of your installation is as sound then you're not likely to have any major issues with a replacement CU.

Lack of earth on the lighting circuits - easy enough for you to do a quick preliminary check - see if the cables into the fusebox have earths, connected to the earth bar (be careful - when you remove the cover there will be exposed live parts even when the main switch is off), look at a few switches and ceiling roses to see if there are earths there, and connected.

Shared neutral[/quoe] on lighting circuits. If you have separate circuits for upstairs and downstairs, and a 2-way switch in the hall for the landing light, then with a property of your age it's likely that you have this. Not hard to resolve, but will probably need a new cable chased into the wall.

And on the subject of chasing...

I'm going to be replacing a small flat roof and nearby thin wood panel wall, which contain a ceiling light and light switch. So that part of the wiring circuit will need to be moved
If that needs to happen before the CU replacement, and if you can live with it in the interim (IHNI what the room is), then surface trunking down to the new switch position would be a much easier alternative to steel conduit or flexishield cable as a way to get round the lack of RCD.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back