FROST STATS and how they work with other parts?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Frost thermostats.
I know that they trigger the electrical signal at a pre-determined low point (say 3 degrees C), but are unsure about the wiring (don't have installation plan)?
CH stats operate if they need to when "asked" by the programmer, then switched to either two-port or three-port valve to DHW or CH position. This then starts the boiler and pump when triggered.
OK, where in this series of operations does a Frost Stat work to start the boiler to prevent frost damage? Surely it would have to over ride all timed heating cycles to say prevent damage at 3am.
If the frost stat was on an S plan surely it would have to also open a valve for heat to flow??
Please explain?

Mike

Sponsored Links
wire in a pipe to interupt frost stats demand

it will register about 50 degs on the return and shut the vale etc

job done

sorry finished reading your post, the frost stat usual is wired up to the heating zone valve on central heating on (bypassing the room stat of course)

:)

Frost stats are usually for appliance protection and need to be wired in such away that house will not get uncontrollably hot when temp drops

namsag said:
Frost stats are usually for appliance protection and need to be wired in such away that house will not get uncontrollably hot when temp drops

ie a pipe stat as an interuption
:)

Sponsored Links
The programmer I have makes no reference to linking frost stats. So are we saying its not part of a normal CH wiring set-up?
Much as say UFH can have indipendant boiler/pump control off its local stat?
So are we saying it starts the system, the pipe stat shuts it again after warming (along with the CH valve)?

The frost stat has nothing to do with the programmer - after all you wouldn't want to program a time when frost might occur would you?

Hi there, hoping somebody can help please....
My question is similar to Mike2007's... my boiler has an internal frost stat that switches on the pump below 8degC. Presumably this is to 'harvest' some of the heat in the pipes inside the house... but I've studied the connections and I don't see how the boiler can make the CH zone valve open to make this happen.
With the zone valve shut, the flow and return pipes to/from in my garage will have no circulation...
(S-plan setup)
Thanks in advance!

Moving water doesn't freeze easily.

The system you have won't open a zone valve.

You need additional protection with a frost thermostat and pipe thermostat working together.

You don't say which boiler you have, but it probably has a built-in bypass valve which will open automatically when the pump is started by the internal frost stat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back