WIRING A 10a DOUBLE LIGHT SWITCH - TOTALLY BAFFLED!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Rather foolishly I disconnected my hallway double light switch. Now, I can't remember which wire goes where in order to get the thing up and working again! I've looked around online but can't find a simple (i.e. simple enough for a dummy like me) answer. Can anyone out there help? Thanks in advance!!

Sponsored Links

Also, advise what switch does what,
e.g. one does the landing light as well as the switch upstairs, etc
one does the porch lights.

EDIT: It looks like there is an add on circuit (the brown & blue). What might they operate?
Also, do you remember if there was a link on the switch between any of the terminals.

PS do you, by any chance have a voltage test meter (NOT a neon screwdriver)?

Thanks for the quick response. The double switches operate ceiling lights, one directly overhead, the second a few feet to the right, in a newer extension to the hallway.

Both lights worked perfectly before I removed the switch from the wiring, no problems. Unfortunately, I can't remember if there was a link on the switch between any of the terminals, but I don't believe there was.

Sorry, I don't have a voltage test meter.

... I'm not being much help, am I?

Sponsored Links
Tes. One of the two ceiling lights in the hallway is also operated by a second double lightswitch which also operates an upstairs landing light.

I know how it gets wired.

But dare I suggest it without checking it all with a test meter?

Lets try and do the correct procedure.

The switch for the extension. Is there only that one switch that operates the light in the extension?

One poster asked if there was a link between the switches. By this he means a short piece of wire. Was there a short piece of wire?

I would assume not.

OK, lets take a chance

TURN OFF THE POWER>
You don't have a test meter, so turn off ALL of the switches on the consumer unit/fuseboard
If you don't know how to do that, you'll need an electrician, on site.

Look at the switch, you'll see its in two halves with terminals L1, 2 and 3 in each half
If you don't know how to do that, you'll need an electrician, on site.

The three wires at the top of the box. The separate red wire put in an L1 terminal. The red and black need to go in the L2 and L3 terminals on that half of the switch.

The brown wire at the bottom, put that in the remaining L1 terminal and the blue goes into the associated L2 terminal.

Screw the switch back on the wall, turn on the power and see if it works

If it doesn't, you'll need an electrician, on site.

Firstly, thank you all for pitching in to help. I really appreciate it.

To answer the questions ...

No, there was no short piece of wire linking the switches.

and

Yes, it's only that one switch that operates the light in the extension.

Sorry to keep you guys in suspense, but now the truth can be told - it worked! Thank you so much, I can't tell you how much I appreciate all your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back