New meter - isolation switch?

Yes, but Greenie's query was because he has been told he needs a switch/fuse while reading here about mere switches (isolators). So, the query was, in effect, just about the fuse; the reasons for which are as I stated.
Sure - but the implication (at least, I thought) was that he had been told that, rather than the "mere switch/isolator" he had asked about, he would need a switch fuse, but apparently without it also being pointed out that he actually should have a fuse (in practice, a switch-fuse) now. I was therefore attempting to clarify that for him - i.e that whether or not he should have a fuse is nothing to do with whether he chooses to have an isolator fitted.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I think I may know why I was told I would need the switch fuse. my original plan was to get the DNO to move the meter outside and then I would need around 5M of tails to the CU position. But now the plan has changed and the CU is only getting replaced so no need to go over the 3M limit on the Tails. So I guess now I could get the REC2 fitted as it does look a lot more pleasing to the eye.

I think I may know why I was told I would need the switch fuse. my original plan was to get the DNO to move the meter outside and then I would need around 5M of tails to the CU position. But now the plan has changed and the CU is only getting replaced so no need to go over the 3M limit on the Tails. So I guess now I could get the REC2 fitted as it does look a lot more pleasing to the eye.
That all makes sense. As you imply, it's only the length of meter/CU 'tails' that determine whether or not a fuse (in practice, switch-fuse) is required. If they are less than the local limit (usually, but I think not always, 3m), you could, indeed, have just an isolator - just as very many installations (probably 'millions') do.

Kind Regards, John

Just a thought to add, If you where going to buy your own isolator for the meter operative to install.

He might not do it because its not approved by his employer and because he has to seal it up taking responsibility for it.

Sponsored Links
John, are you being confused by Greenie asking about the (switch/)fuse as he is not the OP asking about the isolator?

Cheers guys, will ask them when they come round to assess it.

Mnd you I have to put them off for a while because its going to take a big effort to clear out the cellar so they can work there, currently its in no state to get to the meter to be able to work on it.

John, are you being confused by Greenie asking about the (switch/)fuse as he is not the OP asking about the isolator?
No, I'm not being confused by that. I know that Greenie is not the original OP, but did you not read (I've changed sentence order slightly, for clarity):
...I was wanting to look at the same thing ... an isolation switch after the meter so the CU can be isolated and replaced at a later date without having to pull the main fuse again. ... and when I inquired about the REC2 I was told It needed to be a switch fuze
... so, as far as I could see, although not the original OP, Greenie appeared (at the time I wrote my responses) to be in the identical position to the person who was.

Of course, things have now changed a bit, since Greenie has now indicated that the comments about the need for a switch fuse may have arisen when he was asking about a potential change to 'long tails' situation - but neither you nor I had any reason to know that at the time we were writing!

Kind Regards, John

If there is an isolator between the meter and CU, tails upto the Iso become the responsibility of the supplier.

Supplier would want anything they are responsible for to be sealed up as a deterrent.

If there is an isolator between the meter and CU, tails upto the Iso become the responsibility of the supplier.

Supplier would want anything they are responsible for to be sealed up as a deterrent.
Don't think so but -

Wouldn't that render it pointless?

If there is an isolator between the meter and CU, tails upto the Iso become the responsibility of the supplier. Supplier would want anything they are responsible for to be sealed up as a deterrent.
Don't think so but -...
I'm a bit doubtful, too (not the least because I'm aware of a good few cases in which meter operatives have fitted customer-supplied isolators) but, in any event:
Wouldn't that render it pointless?
I thought that most/all isolators used for this purpose (including the Wylex REC range being discussed here) had provision for the supply side to be sealed, leaving the load side unsealed (or to be sealed by an electrician, if (s)he wanted to). Am I wrong?

Kind Regards, John

I suppose if it were supplied by the supplier that may be the case.

However, I wouldn't think they would want more on 'their side'.

IIRC the REC2's front cover is all in one piece. There is provision for this to be sealed, but that is pointless if you need to supply new tails to the CU.

From the DNO's point of view there's no point sealing it as the supply fuse and meter will already have DNO seals on them.

IIRC the REC2's front cover is all in one piece. There is provision for this to be sealed, but that is pointless if you need to supply new tails to the CU.
Mr Wylex said:
It’s safer because the two part cover can be sealed by the contractor and the supply authority preventing unauthorised access.
From the DNO's point of view there's no point sealing it as the supply fuse and meter will already have DNO seals on them.
Sure, and I keep saying, there's no reason why the DNO should have any interest in these isolators, let alone have any desire to seal them. If anyone felt a need, I presume it would be the 'meter operator' (particularly of they had supplied, as well as fitted, the isolator).

Kind Regards, John

IIRC the REC2's front cover is all in one piece. There is provision for this to be sealed, but that is pointless if you need to supply new tails to the CU..

No, it's in two pieces (I've got one). The top cover covers the incoming terminals and the switch itself, and the bottom cover just gives access to the outgoing terminals.

Each cover can be independently sealed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back