Which pressure washer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I'm looking for a decent pressure washer proberbly petrol driven for cleaning drives and patios etc, not for every day use may be 2/3 times a week, anyone know what I would at least need in psi? Seen a few 3000psi on amazon etc for around £300 new, also dose anyone know the life expectancy of one of these machines? I don't want one that's going to be knackered after say 30 jobs.

Sponsored Links
Go for a Honda engined machine, and avoid like the plague any machine with an aluminium head plate on the pump......these burst like crazy!
Petrol machines are so much better than electric - delivering more pressure and water volume.
PS £300 is too cheap.
John :)

Go for a Honda engined machine, and avoid like the plague any machine with an aluminium head plate on the pump......these burst like crazy!
Petrol machines are so much better than electric - delivering more pressure and water volume.
PS £300 is too cheap.
So you wouldn't recommend the Wolf at 3000psi 6hp £250? What sort of price should I be looking to start at then?

This pressure washer is available in many disguises.......so long as you accept that it is a Chinese machine and disregard the name Wolf then you get what you pay for.
Personally I'd have a look at the Machine Mart range - at least they have a guarantee worth something and repair / service back up.
Some machines have aluminium cast pumps, and these need to be avoided like the plague.....basically if the engine runs for more than a minute without the lance spraying, the pump body cracks. Better machines have a brass pump head and these are fine.
Don't buy any Chinese machine second hand!
For a Honda powered machine, you'll pay around the £500 mark but it will last for a lifetime if looked after.

Sponsored Links
If you know your way round the countryside then buy one from a reputable farm supplier and manufacturer.
Like this one near me....
http://www.stinsonequipment.com/aboutus.htm

They assemble pump units capable of up to 6000psi capacity for commercial use and robust units for the demanding conditions down on the farm.
Then you have the benefit of direct backup from experienced engineers when anything goes wrong. Which it will given time.
Have my 3000psi Honda engined unit about 10 years now and been through two sets of pump seals.
They don't sell online and they don't do diy crap sourced from china with ten different labels for the same product.
The pump on mine is from the Italian manufacturer Interpump which boasts full-ceramic pistons.
Some say the CAT pump is better but each to their own.
I paid £1200 quid for the unit I use which is the 13hp petrol model.

The Interpump is first class gear, and you can get the bits, too.
A 13hp motor will probably blast concrete clean away..... :)

I've a yard full of brush finished concrete. Every year it goes a bit green and black.
I've started using sodium hypochlorite now and makes power washing go at least twice as quick with better results.

Thanks for all the info I'm now swaying towards the Clark pls190 6.5 hp brass pump head 2700psi about £400 :D

Good luck with ever machine you choose.....do find out about changing the pump oil yearly (at least) - it's amazing how quickly it emulsifies.
Regular oil changes for the engine is a good move too.

Ok think I've decided on the machine, only thoughts now are if the manufacturers state say 12 ltrs per minute flow but the supply tap won't give that amount what happens?!

Ok think I've decided on the machine, only thoughts now are if the manufacturers state say 12 ltrs per minute flow but the supply tap won't give that amount what happens?!

Get yourself a wheelie bin and fill that. Will act as a buffer.
That's how I operate my set up.
You could even collect rainwater if you want to go green. :idea:

So I'm assuming the washer won't run if there's not the same supply as what it produces ??

That's correct. It would starve the pump causing damage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back