Condensation on top of Fridge (External)

OPJ

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I wasn't sure of where to post this one so I hope you don't mind it appearing in this forum.

In my flat (rented), I have a problem where after boiling something on the hob, as that warm air later cools, it settles on top of my fridge, where I often happen to leave my oven gloves (they're looking quite mouldy - not to mention the pools of water).

What I'd like to ask is for any suggestions on how to prevent this? Is there some kind of matting I can place on top of the fridge, for instance?

There is an extractor fan but it's mounted to an adjacent external wall above fitted wall units.

Any thoughts or suggestions you might have would be greatly appreciated. Thank you,

Olly

Sponsored Links
Yes, the extractor does work it just doesn't seem to be in the best position and I cannot move the cooker any closer to it.

run the extractor more often, and for longer.

water vapour will diffuse through the entire room, so the position of the extractor is not really a problem. As long as it is not just a recirculating hood which would be 100% useless.

Clean the cobwebs off it, inside and out, and get someone to hold a smoking fag under it while you stand outside and sniff.

Also put a tray on top of the fridge to make sure water is not dripping on it.

Does the casing of the fridge feel colder than the room?

Does anyone drape wet washing inside your home?

Sponsored Links
Thanks, John, I'll give it a try.

It's just a simple wall-mounted fan; probably about 6in across the square plate.

I will also put a tray on top. I'm confident there are no leaks from the ceiling but I imagine water could be settling on the ceiling.

I'd say the top of the fridge is the coldest part. The rest feels only only slightly less than the room temperature, which is never that high to be honest (ground floor, within a courtyard, little exposure to sunlight).

Thanks for your help.

The fan needs to run all the time the room is in use. What is the model of fan?, is there a permanent vent, fan useless without one.

I can only see the name 'Steeple' on the fan itself, which leads outside through a vent in the external wall. I'm not sure if I understand correctly but there is also a plain vent directly below it at ground level, in the nook where a washing machine can go.

Yes, that does look quite similar, although the grilles a different shape (more of a cross than parallel lines).

I do hang my washing in the same room about twice a week after running it in the drier. But I only notice the water on top of the fridge after I've been boiling water.

that is quite a weedy fan.

turn the fan on before you start cooking, boiling, or hanging washing, and let it run on for ten minutes after you stop,

You could also try insulating the top of the fridge a bit... Put something on the top that will help to keep the cold in. Something like a sheet of expanded polystyrene from packaging, a sheet of polyurethane insulation from a building site skip, a bit of worktop/chipboard/mdf or even just an old towel folded in half.

The water vapour will condense on a cold surface first so, if you insulate it a bit (and put a plastic tray on top?), the extractor might just suck it out before it has a chance to condense.

Put lids on your saucepans and stop the kettle as it boils, without waiting for it to stop itself! ;)

looks like the insulation of the fridge is breaking down. Probably best to replace the fridge

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back