new tv

Thank you Lucid, that was a very helpful reply.

I've spent a couple of hours this evening looking at my new Panasonic tx-L42E6B. I'm delighted with it. All the features meet my expectations and I'm only sorry I had to go out this evening.

The sound is a lot better than I thought it might be and I may not have to connect my hi-fi speakers to it after all. I'll see how I feel when I hear music of some sort on the set.

I want to thank everyone who posted on this thread. Diynot comes good again!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Just thought i'd mention this ..DON't throw out your CRT!!! I bought a top of the range combination DVR (panasonic) which had a DVD Play/record facilty, plus a VHS record/play facility, plus the option to record on tape AND transfer to a disc .(Blank)..And from a disc to a Tape. shortly before the digital change-over I odered a new 42" TV , DIRECT from a Panasonic shop on the high st. And, PAID in full. I was told I would have to wait apprx 15 days. I waited almost a month with no Reasurance/contact from panasonic whatsoever. I returned to the shop and, after a poor response, I cancelled my order and asked for a refund. The assistant took my card and instead of refunding my payment actually took the same amount a second time.. what a Tw*T eh... I had to wait 4 days to get it back..(normal banking practise).... HOWEVER When I connected my 28" CRT to my DVR, I got a fantastic picture.. Only problem is as there is only one tuner in the crt, I can't record one prog and watch another at the same time..

Thank you all for posting.

I went down to a well known large store today and looked at the Panasonic and Sony sets in my price range. There were seven of them and I checked the field of view on each of them. All were okay. This was one of my concerns: there are two more.

Reading user reviews online, I've come across an occasional mention that the HD display on the new tv was fine but the SD display was worse than the display on their old CRT set. I watch a lot of Freeview SD programs like Quest and I wouldn't like to worsen the display.

I have a paired cable from my CRT set pushed into the connector on my mini Teac HiFi system to improve the sound. I'm pretty sure that the HiFi is analogue. Will I be able to connect the cable from a new digital tv to my Teac?

Tony

I recently bought a new Panasonic - a 32 inch model in their latest range. I'm very pleased with it, having had a Sony crt for many years. One seller did say the same as you read, about sd being worse on these sets than on crt. Whilst this might be technically true I have to say I haven't found it to be noticeable. I suppose it depends if the screen sizes are roughly the same (my old crt was much smaller than the Panasonic). Sd is of course more 'muddy' than hd but the sd isn't that bad really. I've been using our new set for over a month now and I'm still amazed at the sharpness of the hd broadcasts.

Sponsored Links
I have a paired cable from my CRT set pushed into the connector on my mini Teac HiFi system to improve the sound. I'm pretty sure that the HiFi is analogue. Will I be able to connect the cable from a new digital tv to my Teac?

Tony

Directly.... No.

New TVs rarely have a stereo audio output any more.

Most new TVs still have a scart socket from which you can get a stereo audio output.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back