Double Glazing Purchase Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been quoted between £5,600 - £10,000 for new uvpc double glazing windows. Includes 2 composite doors, 1 french door, 1 bay and 10 other windows, all with internal Georgia bars.

The quotes so far have come from sole traders up to family run companies.

I’m new to uvpc dd and the problem is that I’m getting conflicting advice from everyone I talk to. I’m going around in circles as the prices quoted vary so much for similar windows and doors.

The companies all push their own profiles and say others are not as good as their own. Suggested profiles so far are duraflex, kommerling, rehaus or veka.

Glass recommendation is either a rated planitherim or pilkington and I must go for argon glass.

Warm edge spacers varies from it makes no difference to swisspacer, duralite to foam.

Chamber construction - 5 or 6 chambers. Some say it makes no difference if the chambers are filled with foam, other say they must be insulated and include steel reinforcements.

Seals - varies from q-lon to the factory constructed rubber seals.

Double or triple glazing. Some say best to go for dd, others some say triple is now worth it as the brackets won't be strong enough and the u values are not what are claimed due to the narrow gaps between the panes.

Window locking systems vary from maco secure to Saracen to winkhaus.

Any advice much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
You have obviously done your research and are now encountering what I call Internetus Informationus Overloadus.

Hence you are confused.......

When it comes down to it, the windows are only as good as the fitters that fit them. You can have the best profile and glass only for it to be installed very badly....

So....I would look to get recommendations from people you trust and know. Actually examine their work and the finished article, how well it is fitted, do you like the look. Avoid the big chain/national companies. Look for a local company which has been around for a long time.

I think any of the profiles you mentioned are well regarded (it actually depends on who manufactures anyway them as the "profile" is just the design).

One note, please ensure/check if your bay requires the upvc windows to be fully re-enforced. Some bays are load bearing and non re-enforced upvc cannot take the weight.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back