Fixing heavy mirror on to solid wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks total newbie to the site and to the world of DIY!
I have several big heavy mirrors and pictures I would like to hang on to a solid wall, do I need to use wall anchors or some other sort of fixture ?!

Any help I would be grateful as I said total newbie in my 1st house !

John

Sponsored Links
Sure, mirrors and the like are static so any load on the fixings is vertical.
You'll need to brush up on measuring, buy a spirit level and have a hammer drill to get the plugs in.
Obviously fixing methods vary, but a common one is 'D' rings where the mirror is suspended on these with a screw that sticks out proud from the wall.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Start with 6mm plugs -they are much the same length and that is the depth of the hole that you drill, or maybe a fraction deeper.
If I have doubts about the integrity of the wall, I drill a 5mm hole first, followed by the 6.
You will need an appropriate masonry drill of course - an ordinary twist drill will be useless on brickwork.
John :)

If it is a really big, heavy mirror with a wooden frame, you can use these: Mirror Plates.

Fix them with two screws in each plate to the back of the mirror first (two at the top and two at the bottom, or on the sides). You should drill pilot holes and use short screws. Get some help to hold the mirror in the right position and mark the single hole positions with a pencil. Take the mirror away and turn the pencil dots into bigger "+" marks (so thet you can still see where the hole should be after you've started drilling).

Start by drilling slowly (if you can) without hammer action. Once you're through the plaster and into the brick, you can speed up and use hammer action. Keep the drill bit absolutely perpendicular (at 90 degrees) the the wall and drill to the depth of the flutes on the bit. (If your helper hold the vacuum cleaner nozzle a couple of inches under the hole, there'll be a lot less mess to clean up afterwards.)

Push your first plug in and get your helper back to hold the mirror up. Put the first screw in most of the way, check that the mirror is level and check your pencil marks for the other three holes. If you made a good job of the first one, everything should line up. If not, re-mark the holes, take the mirror down and try harder not to let the second hole wander! ;)

Once you've drilled all the holes and put plugs in, it's time for your helper to hold the mirror again while you put the top two screws in most of the way. Now, while your helper puts the kettle on, you can put the bottom screws in and tighten them all up.

For a really professional finish, use brass slotted screws and line all the slots up so that they are vertical. That should earn you a biscuit too!!

Nice one eighty two! To be honest I got them from I pub I run that closed and they have those in the back so that will save me half the job !

If you want to drill it again, use Polyfilla or Tetrion. Decorator's caulk will fill a hole but it doesn't go really hard - fine for painting over.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back