Boiler nightmare

P

pine77

My boiler stopped working.

Plumber came over. Said it needed a new expansion vessel kit. Paid him, he put it in, it worked for 14 hours before failing again. Same problem, overheating and no hot water accompanied by some fud sounds.. I paid £250 for nothing it seems.

Now I am worried because it seems they are just replacing parts with no idea whether it will work or not - I am paying for trial and error until it works it seems..

Spoke to him today and he said the system needs flushing because it is a blockage and he wants another £250 to do that. I am not even sure if that is the problem and he is not taking advantage.

Does this seem a normal process for a London Plumber? What should I do? I am not rich and this hurts.

Sponsored Links
Has it stopped working altogether, or just the hot water.
What pressure is it on.

Sponsored Links
Pressure fine. 1.5

What happens is I run the hot water, boiler fires up, the temperature rises fast until it hits U9 on the read out and then nothing - no hot water, boiler overheated. I have been told it is overheating. This is accompanied by some thuds.

I am more interested in if the methods the plumber is using is legal. I have already spent 250 for a new expansion vessel with no fix and now he wants another 250 to flush. I want to know if this is normal behaviour and allowed.

Well it obviously is overheating, why is anyones guess from the lack of clarity in your posts.
As to why you needed an expansion vessel and what the original fault was, again we can't second guess the plumber on the job especially with the level of detail you have provided.
You may well be right to be suspicious, perhaps you should get someone else in to give another opinion

Well it obviously is overheating, why is anyones guess from the lack of clarity in your posts.
As to why you needed an expansion vessel and what the original fault was, again we can't second guess the plumber on the job especially with the level of detail you have provided.
You may well be right to be suspicious, perhaps you should get someone else in to give another opinion

What more detail do you want other than what happens - when it happens, the noise it makes when it happens, the read out, the make of the boiler, when it was installed, what has already been changed and what the pressure is? :?:

I am not asking for you to diagnose the problem online for me, although that would be great.

I am asking if that is a common method, for plumbers to replace parts one by one hoping to hit a fix and charging you happily along the way. I am asking this because I am not rich and this hurting me very badly.

You remind me of the plumber himself.. seems like he is dealing with alien technology.. last time I checked, the boiler was very common..

Heating doesn't work either. The minute I require hot water of any description, the boiler fires up, races to U9 and then stops. As it does that there is a dull thudding sound.

I told another plumber this over the phone and he said it sounds like a heat exchanger needs replacing. Another plumber told me it could be a blockage another said it was limescale build up. The only plumber who only came to my address charged me £250 and changed the expansion vessel fixing NOTHING.

I feel depressed my boiler seems to have been recovered from Roswell. Wouldn't be so bad if plumbers were not such criminals who charge £70 for a call out. Bosch, who built the ****ing thing said a call out would be £274 before they fixed anything. :eek:

Unfortunately it is a common method amongst some, it is also possible that you had more than one fault on your boiler.
No one can say from what you've told us, hence why I suggested you may get someone else in to have a look.
Boiler parts are expensive when they break down, lots of people get their boilers serviced regularly to try to prevent this and to build up some kind of rapport with the guy looking after it. Some have serice and maintenance contracts.
Others just ignore them completely and take them for granted, until they pack in. Which type are you?

I am the type who came from two previous apparments where hot water was included in the service charge.

I bought a flat, it had a boiler inside, and this is what happened after 2 months.

Not really, can deal with bills, crap, rip offs, but mechanics/plumbers/builders taking the p!ss because it is a protected rancid culture in the UK really p!sses me off.

Some garage did the same to me with my car (FIAT) a few years ago. Just started changing parts one by one to see what the problem was while charging me through the nose each time. Took it to another garage - they did the same. Third garage fixed it in 30 minutes for £50 and said all the previous works were unnecessary.

Disgusting humans. 1 down from pedos.

Rip off Britain.

There are plenty of good and honest heating guys on this site who work in London, but with your preconceptions I doubt that many will be rushing forth.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back