Vokera Mynute 15 VHE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Called Vokera this morning because I was interested in replacing my 22 year old boiler with the above. Two reasons for selecting this boiler, the price and this boiler would appear to fit neatly in place of the existing boiler.
When I explained to the girl who refers jobs to you guys, she told me that none of the local Vokera recommended Fitters were "trained" to fit "Vented Boilers". I have to say this surprised me.
Wondering if this is the case or are there only "Unvented" Vokera guys in West Lancs.
Mick

Sponsored Links
This may be because their core business has been combi and system boilers for decades. The open vent model is an afterthought, same with Vaillant and Worcester. You're better off using Baxi/Potterton/Main or Ideal. who have always had these models.

Sponsored Links
Don't know who you spoke to but the girl was wrong and I work there.
The VHE is not an afterthought although Tibbot is right about the bulk of our boilers being made for sealed systems and oddly enough often these are used in Eire on semi-open systems with no problems due to local regulations.

I believe you spoke to an inexperienced young lady who I shall chat to tomorrow. I'm training her slowly (not fast enough it seems) but it's a steep learning curve for her. I'll speak to her or leave a note on her desk first thing in the morning if you don't mind ringing again.

I've personally fitted several of these and they're fine and I have one in my garage for my own use; any installer who is gas Safe and can read instructions will be able to fit it. Although we would normally recommend an approved installer it really is a simple job.

You don't say which boiler you are replacing.

Thought that may have been the case. She referred me to the gas safe website but as I said, I was surprised by her reply.
I currently have a Glowworm Economy Plus EP40b fitted in the garage.

To me any coiled heat exchanger is an afterthought on OV, they're designed for combi/system or as you say on an OV c/w sealed or semi-sealed kits (as they've always done in ROI).

I consider only boilers that do not require pump overrun as truly fit for open vent applications.

Ooops, forgot, if you do use an approved installer although the boiler comes with a two year warranty normally the approved installer can offer five years.

As it happens VC, recently installed a Vision system boiler. Looks more suited to an open vent version than the VHE.

I'm naturally pleased you fitted the Vision system and I know we had one converted and on trial on a vented system to see how it operated. I can't remember why but it wasn't a goer although they do install them semi-open vent in Eire.

The short big coil in the VHE vents easily so no problem there but I should point out to the original poster the rear flue is only on the 15KW version. The 20KW has top turret only. It does need a pump overrun which is why I asked the poster what boiler he is replacing.

I'm naturally pleased you fitted the Vision system and I know we had one converted and on trial on a vented system to see how it operated. I can't remember why but it wasn't a goer although they do install them semi-open vent in Eire.

The short big coil in the VHE vents easily so no problem there but I should point out to the original poster the rear flue is only on the 15KW version. The 20KW has top turret only. It does need a pump overrun which is why I asked the poster what boiler he is replacing.

To me any coiled heat exchanger is an afterthought on OV, they're designed for combi/system or as you say on an OV c/w sealed or semi-sealed kits (as they've always done in ROI).

I consider only boilers that do not require pump overrun as truly fit for open vent applications.

What is the issue with coil HX and open vent? I don't understand any of this conversation! I'm looking at Alpha Regular boiler, partly because I thought stainless steel was best. Why is coil OK for a system boiler but potential problem with OV?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back