Wifi Extender?

Bit off topic, always wondered why :-

a) new houses don't have fibre optic cable infrastructure incorporated.

b) Why they're not data cabled.

Would add pretty much nothing the the cost of the house.
You obviously don't understand capitalism...

Why provide someting for minimal cost that you can charge over the odds for as an 'add on' later! :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Bit off topic, always wondered why :-

a) new houses don't have fibre optic cable infrastructure incorporated.

b) Why they're not data cabled.

Would add pretty much nothing the the cost of the house.
You obviously don't understand capitalism...

Why provide someting for minimal cost that you can charge over the odds for as an 'add on' later! :rolleyes:

that totally misunderstands fibre optic cable infrastructure, which is not a chargable add on to any household. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Indeed why, by your logic, have inside sanitation, or a TV aerial?

that totally misunderstands fibre optic cable infrastructure,

I'm not sure you do either, if you ask why new houses don't have it.

Most people who have fibre, do not have it to their house, but just the local box.

A new housing estate might already be built near existing phone networks, but not necessary existing fibre optic.

that totally misunderstands fibre optic cable infrastructure,

I'm not sure you do either, if you ask why new houses don't have it.

Most people who have fibre, do not have it to their house, but just the local box.

A new housing estate might already be built near existing phone networks, but not necessary existing fibre optic.

Yes, I fully understand it. I am totally aware that houses aren't fibre enabled, but merely have an access point outside the house.

Sponsored Links
http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/products/super-fastfibreaccess/superfastfibre.do

...Fibre to the Premises (FTTP) uses fibre all the way from the exchange right into your customers' homes and businesses. It enables the delivery of our fastest broadband services. We've been rolling out FTTP at Brownfield sites such as Bradwell Abbey, near Milton Keynes, and Highams Park, London. Brownfield means that a copper network already exists in the area and that fibre will be overlaid all the way from the exchange right into the homes and businesses...

A few are - most are not !!

-0-

Some reviews say those work well on the Ethernet but not wireless. Is that your experience?

Sorry. Been away for a few days (Strangeways!). I don't know about Ethernet connections; we only use them for wireless. And they seem fine.

Hi JB

Sorry, not been watching this... :oops:

When I click on the link, there is a newer bit of kit recommended by Amazon. Is it worth the extra outlay?

Cheers.

Hi JB

Sorry, not been watching this... :oops:

When I click on the link, there is a newer bit of kit recommended by Amazon. Is it worth the extra outlay?

Cheers.

A bit late for me now! Mind you, I'm not sure exactly how it is better than the original, other than a mains pass-through, and quite a whopping price increase!

Yeah, that's what I thought. Thanks.

Is this other item ("triple pack") suitable to set up two extended zones? I could do with one up and one down.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00GC3Z6I0/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=[/QUOTE]

I should think it's suitable but, again, a price mark-up.

We just got the two-unit version. We have one in the conservatory at the moment, but when it gets colder we'll just transfer it to the bedroom. As we live in a bungalow, I have no idea whether or not a single unit will transmit from one floor to another. Sorry.

Integrated sockets ensure that no electrical outlet is lost.
Be wary of face plate switch masking too.
LAN sockets are on top with Develo, underneath with other adaptors.

Not sure about overall Wi-Fi coverage per adapter, certainly does the room within which 'tis fitted - seems better through floor than solid walls - maybe I should expect this.

You'll not get the throughput advertised - But my 2 Devolo 500's and one 200 will stream good quality movies - the one behind our TV (a '500') works flawlessly with Chromecast thingumy by wireless, also feeds two LAN connections, one to network the TV the other to BT vision box... and of course any smartphones or tablets etc nearby - Leaving one LAN socket free.
An extension board plugged into the Devolo integrated socket supplies TV and sundries, hence the adapter is plugged to wall socket not via extension board - A marked decrease in usability evident in the latter case.

-0-

Do I take it you have the "triple pack"?

If we are talking 'Develo'.

2 yrs ago I bought 'Develo 200' starter kit (no integrated sockets), base adapter plus one remote adapter... Seemed pretty good , so purchased a further remote adapter.
Sprog2 resurfaced from a year out (3 actually) required better connection in shared house, so as per usual she confiscates my kit - Devolo 200 base unit plus one remote adapter, the kit required no extra installation just plugged in and used same password for wi-fi which I had set at home. Concurrently I purchased a 'Develo 500' base + 1 remote adapter, a bit impressed (especially with the integrated socket) so purchased a further '500 remote adapter'.
For a while there was a problem with awakening from sleep with the non TV 500 adapter (??)... Subsequent Develo on line updates seem to have cured this. 200's and 500's work together no problems.
Probably cheaper to run cabling up outside wall to roof space and figure drops from there - I am too old and the wallet (currently) slightly bulging so boll-ox to that.

Obvious from all this - I am no expert with experience of various manufacturers kit, just the stuff I have related - It may be c-rap against some other kit, but it has worked well for me - I think :rolleyes:
-0-

Sponsored Links
Back