Cutting through boiler quotes- help needed please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We are taking quotes for supply and fit of a Vaillant Ecotex 831 Ecotec and would be very grateful for some advice- about the advice we are getting.

Our current combi (older Vaillant) serves our 3 bed semi, 2 adults and three kids. We have 80/20 showers/baths. Thermostatic shower.

We have 22ml copper going to microbore from about 2m away from the boiler.

-One H.E, advised that we *must* have a boiler control unit with wireless thermostat fitted. A.n.other has offered it but was quite ok about not installing it as is our wish. We have never heated the whole house in the normal way- low and constant, we tend to heat the home from the wood burner in lounge and enjoy colder spaces to sleep in etc.

-One H.E (?) quotes to install with the sign off being done by his associates (another firm entirely I think-family member?) The sentence that notes the above goes on to say, ..."and Gas Safe will be notified"...... I thought H.Engineers are, or are not Gas safe, rather than Gas Safe record the installations?

Beyond a safe installation, we want one that Vaillant will be happy with in case of later faults which brings us onto power flushing.

-One H.E. said as all rads get red hot now, that a chemical flush would suffice, another said ALL systems must be power flushed prior to new boilers going in, so to not void warranties...

We are confused?

Thanks for any comments/advice.

M.

Sponsored Links
You "should" have a roomstat fitted, to control the boiler and meet building regs.
RGIs generally register the install through Gas Safe Register, who then notify building control who send you a compliance certificate.
If a ll the rads get hot a chemical flush should be fine, it's not that easy to powerflush a microbore system effectively anyway., and certainly not necessary for warranty.
Magnetic filter on the return pipe would be a good idea on any older system

You "should" have a roomstat fitted, to control the boiler and meet building regs.
RGIs generally register the install through Gas Safe Register, who then notify building control who send you a compliance certificate.
If a ll the rads get hot a chemical flush should be fine, it's not that easy to powerflush a microbore system effectively anyway.

Well, i'm delighted with that, thanks.
I sometimes seem to get a bit of a bashing for not making sense, or asking something clearly noted already on page 59,453....

Generally then, (quotes and advice) not very contentious... good! :D

Dump the second quote.

Obviously an unregistered chancer.

I don't understand though why you want to make the system less efficient by refusing a thermostat?

Sponsored Links
Agree with Dan, give that second quote a miss, he sounds well dodgy.
Questionable advice regarding the power flush as well.

If you dont have a room stat then get one.

Aside the fact you're 'supposed' to have one I still see lots without as much as I see boiler changes without upgraded hot water cylinders nor full programmers being fitted on existing systems which is basic Part L2 building regs compliance...............

Ditch the second guy, sounds like somebody I'd like to slap

If current boiler working ok, why not give it some TLC nd fit a thermostat?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back