powerline adapter questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm thinking of buying a pair of these. If I get ones that have two or three ports, does that mean that I have to use two or three leads at each end? Or can I use one lead between router and the nearest one, then two or three leads from the other one to the units that need broadband (TV and PVR).

Also, are there any makes that I should avoid buying? I'm looking at the TP-Link TLPA2030KIT.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
The multiple ports means you can connect several devices at the receiving end. But you don't need to connect all the ports.

For a basic set up, connect one Ethernet cable from your router to the transmitter Homeplug. Then connect one Ethernet cable from the receiver Homeplug to the device that needs a network connection.

Sponsored Links
The multiple ports means you can connect several devices at the receiving end. But you don't need to connect all the ports.

For a basic set up, connect one Ethernet cable from your router to the transmitter Homeplug. Then connect one Ethernet cable from the receiver Homeplug to the device that needs a network connection.

Thanks but perhaps I'm not explaining myself properly.

Say I have two devices that I want to feed broadband to - a TV and a PVR. I know that I would need to connect each to the receiving adapter with it's own lead. But my question is, would I need to use two leads between router and the sending adapter, or just one lead?

I think the answer is, yes, you would need two leads at each end (or three leads at each end, if you want to feed broadband to three devices).

Thanks again.

I think the answer is, yes, you would need two leads at each end (or three leads at each end, if you want to feed broadband to three devices).

Thanks again.

The answer is no, you only need one.

Thanks again.

The answer is no, you only need one.

You mean I only need one at the sending end, no matter how many I have at the receiving end? Thanks.

There is no 'sending' and 'receiving' end. One cable per device.

OK. Thanks.

I used the terms 'sending' and 'receiving' only to clarify which adapter is connected to the router and which is connected to the devices.

OK. Thanks.

I used the terms 'sending' and 'receiving' only to clarify which adapter is connected to the router and which is connected to the devices.

And therein lies the misunderstanding. The router is a device like any other.

Because they turn your house wiring into a huge transmitting aerial, they can all cause problems.
http://www.satcure.co.uk/reviews/satcure_blog_170.htm#02[/QUOTE]

Thanks. An interesting link.

However, it doesn't answer my questions. Any other takers?

Your question:

Also, are there any makes that I should avoid buying?

Is adequately answered by the above. You should be avoiding ALL makes, and wiring it in CAT 6 cable which is designed for the purpose, costs less, won't die in a few years due to capacitor failures, and uses no electricity to run.

Thanks. I might just go down that road. Now I need to educate myself about what to buy, how to plan the installation and how to fit the connectors.

Any tips about good equipment suppliers and maybe on-line guides?

One small question springs to mind - can you buy a combined telephone extension socket and ethernet socket ie both mounted on a plate the same size as a telephone socket. Sorry if my terminology is wrong.
Cheers.

Thanks for the quick reply. Its a pity the combined unit isnt the same size/shape as the existing telephone sockets. Then I could avoid doing any digging in the wall. Still, a bit easier reshaping an existing position rather than digging out for a seperate rj45 plate.

Thanks again.

Ah, hold on. I think I've got the hang of this.

I would need to use a "White Modular Plate (1 or 2 Grid Spaces)", into which I would fit a "Telephone Extension Module IDC - White" and a "25mm Single Euro Module Blank - White" beside it.

The "White Modular Plate (1 or 2 Grid Spaces)" is the same size as a Telephone extension plate, yes?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back