Wht is this hedge (total newbie to these things!)

Sponsored Links
its just a normal privet.

They are thirsty and grow quickly but do not have large destructive roots so are no problem near a building.

They are very tough and can be clipped regularly to form a tight hedge or just cut hard back once a year. They can also be reduced or pruned hard if needs be so are good from that front too.

All in all they are very good as hedging which is why its one of the most common out there.

Best time to buy hedging is in the winter as it will be available bare root which is much cheaper. Bare root season depends on the weather but usually starts around november.

Most important thing when planting a hedge is to water it lots, especially for the first few months, and keep it clear of weeds and grass which will slow its progress down by competing for water and food.

Thats great , many thanks

If i start to prepare and purchase in November , then sounds about right to you ?

Also , when you say bare root , what do you mean ? , is this the sort of hedge that takes a while to grow ? , its this or a fence really...

I will study the RHS website later , so apologies for asking so many questions!

yes prepare for november. You can buy them sooner it pots but may be 2 quid each rather than bare root they might be 70p

If its not a big length you have to do its worth buying slightly bigger ones.

You should be able to buy a variety of sizes and your best planting them in a double staggered row. Google it

As for speed hedges can be slow so assuming you bought plants like this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-2-3ft-...arden_PlantsSeedsBulbs_JN&hash=item5d4fa7722e

it will take a full years growth before you can't easily walk through it and 2 years before it is a solid-ish barrier then by the end of its 3rd year it should look nearly as good to your pictures.

If a barrier is essential its common to put up a basic wire fence or even a fence of wind break fabric. If its in an exposed location wind break fabric is important

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Yes, buy bare root, I paid £1 a plant. Potted ones were about £3 each. I planted a single row, 12" between each. It grows about 12" per year, allowing for pruning. You need to trim it regularly, to ensure that it thickens out, rather than spreading like trees. After 2.5 years, mine is about 3 foot tall and reasonably thick, but not like the one in the photo.

Privet is a bit dull though, and I would have gone for Cotoneaster franchetii had I known about it as it has nice red berries and nicer leaves. You can always plant a mixed hedge, which is more interesting i.e. alternate plants.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back