powerline adapter questions

Ah, hold on. I think I've got the hang of this.

I would need to use a "White Modular Plate (1 or 2 Grid Spaces)", into which I would fit a "Telephone Extension Module IDC - White" and a "25mm Single Euro Module Blank - White" beside it.

The "White Modular Plate (1 or 2 Grid Spaces)" is the same size as a Telephone extension plate, yes?

Depends on the plate, there's two sizes. 68mm, which looks amusingly small (and is usually surface mounted), and 85mm, which is the same as a normal socket.

Sponsored Links

I would need to use a "White Modular Plate (1 or 2 Grid Spaces)", into which I would fit a "Telephone Extension Module IDC - White" and a "25mm Single Euro Module Blank - White" beside it.

The "White Modular Plate (1 or 2 Grid Spaces)" is the same size as a Telephone extension plate, yes?

Depends on the plate, there's two sizes. 68mm, which looks amusingly small (and is usually surface mounted), and 85mm, which is the same as a normal socket.

Thanks. Still a bit confused. I can't find a 68mm or a 85mm plate anywhere on that site. In fact none of the plates give dimensions. When I get back home, I'll post a list of what I think I need, if you or anyone would be good enough to check if my understanding is correct. Thanks for the help.

Thanks. Still a bit confused. I can't find a 68mm or a 85mm plate anywhere on that site. In fact none of the plates give dimensions. When I get back home, I'll post a list of what I think I need, if you or anyone would be good enough to check if my understanding is correct. Thanks for the help.

If it's smaller than a single socket or light switch, it's 68mm (unless it's _really_ tiny). If it's the same size, it's 85mm. Simple as that.

Sponsored Links
No, you want a phone socket module and a network socket module - otherwise you'll just have a phone socket !

Depends on the phone socket. Some phone sockets are the same size as standard electrical accessories, some are considerably smaller.

Also, if you are bothered, pretty well all accessory manufacturers do "euromod" faceplates (either "single" or "double" in their accessory ranges. Doing it that way, you get your phone and network sockets to match all the power sockets and light switches.
A "single" plate has a 50x50mm hole, a "double" has a 100x50mm hole and takes twice the width of modules. As you can get all sorts of modules, it's a handy way of doing "custom" sockets - eg phone, network, and a couple of coax in one faceplate the same size and style as the double socket it's next to.

Thanks. You're right of course. Don't know what I was thinking there. So if I have mk sockets in the house already, I could find suitable plates in their range and perhaps have to buy the telephone and rj45 modules from somewhere ekse. Or do mk make all? Must have a search for that now. Update - I've found them.

Ps have now discovered ethernet switches.

Cheers.

Because they turn your house wiring into a huge transmitting aerial, they can all cause problems.
http://www.satcure.co.uk/reviews/satcure_blog_170.htm#02[/QUOTE]

Thanks. An interesting link.

However, it doesn't answer my questions. Any other takers?

Your question:

Also, are there any makes that I should avoid buying?

Is adequately answered by the above. You should be avoiding ALL makes, and wiring it in CAT 6 cable which is designed for the purpose, costs less, won't die in a few years due to capacitor failures, and uses no electricity to run.

Yes, but wouldn't I need an ethernet switch, which uses electricity? Or am I missing something? Ta.

Whilst I understand the need to be green-aware and watch power consumption figures, I think stressing over the running costs of Homeplugs and an Ethernet switch is going OTT.

A pair of Homeplugs consume about 4.5W. A 5 port Gigabit switch eats about 8W. Together they'll cost approx £1.75 per month to run. If that's going to break the bank then you'd better not look at the cost of running a laptop for a month.

Ethernet cable does have significant advantages (security, speed, no wireless interference emissions). It is also possible to run 2 or 3 lines down from the Router's Ethernet ports to a single point to avoid using a switch in the destination room. But on this point I think that that's a miserly solution. Just buy a switch for the destination end. Chances are, as soon as you have Ethernet available at a location you'll find more than two devices to connect to it anyway.

Yes, but wouldn't I need an ethernet switch, which uses electricity? Or am I missing something? Ta.

And you think Homeplugs don't? I dare say they'd use more power than a decent switch, not less.

Thanks.

Actually, I'm not stressing about power consumption - just reacting to Sam saying that cabling out "...uses no electricity to run." I just wanted to clarify, in case I missed something.

Cheers.

Thanks.

Actually, I'm not stressing about power consumption - just reacting to Sam saying that cabling out "...uses no electricity to run." I just wanted to clarify, in case I missed something.

Cheers.

Uses no extra electricity compared to the switching hardware required to provide the number of ports connected. As opposed to a Homeplug, which does more processing and requires multiple devices to cover multiple rooms.

So if I have mk sockets in the house already, I could find suitable plates in their range and perhaps have to buy the telephone and rj45 modules from somewhere ekse. Or do mk make all?
I've found that most manufacturers carry a selection of modules in their range - but only a subset of what people might want and usually quite expensive. Other manufacturers do a wide range of modules - eg Triax.

As long as they are "Euromod" or "Euro Module" then you should be able to mix-n-match.

EDIT: As for powerline vs cable - cable every time. Powerline with, in theory and under ideal conditions, reach an absolute max of 500Mbps throughput - and that's a total figure across all traffic flows because it's a shared medium. In practice you will never ever see that in a real installation.
With an ethernet cable, you can have gigabit (1000Mbps) - and that's across each link in each direction if the flows allow for it. OK, in many home networks it's not that critical (eg if all you are doing is sharing an 80Mbps FTTC connection), but I can tell you it makes a difference for quite a few tasks (accessing video files off a NAS for example).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back