Fireplace installation question!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So...

Hideous 80s stone fireplace removed from 1920s house.

What I really wanted was to get a reclaimed fireplace put in so I can have a real fire now and then. But HETAS chap came and had a look, said v likely chimney would need to be lined and may even be a problem as flue is v narrow. Total cost would be at least £1000, maybe more. Too much!

I asked him if he could fit a fireplace that could be decorative only, but he said he would still want to do chimney liner etc as if fireplace was used he would be liable if anything happened. Fair enough.

So I have found a repro fireplace I like, which can be supplied with an electric insert. HETAS chap will be happy to fit this (fireplace below!). This seems like a good compromise, though am not totally keen on electric fires. I wanted nice crackly flames!

But I just wondered. Is the HETAS chap being a bit too cautious?

I have done lots of research and spoken to someone at a fireplace shop and it seems some people more or less ignore the regs and just get a builder in to fit their fireplace or do it themselves without getting BC sign off etc. To be honest, this doesn't appeal as I don't want my house to burn down or to die of CO poisoning and I would worry about not having the proper certification from BC.

But I would be grateful for any thoughts?

Fairburn-48-14-1-1285621508.jpg

Sponsored Links
Have your flue tested. You have to make a choice between a cheap job, or doing it properly.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Stuart. Think have two choices then, either cough up and get flue properly tested and then get it lined etc if needed or go for the electric option.

I am tempted to get the flue tested but was told it would cost £200 and 90% chance that flue would fail the test. So would be £200 down the drain if I then decided I couldn't afford to proceed with the work needed.

Aagh!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back