Tiling onto Eggshell paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I want to tile on both sides of a corner in the kitchen behind the top of my freestanding cooker. The area is 1 square meter.

The main area have a thick coat of eggshell paint which I know would not absorb any moisture from the adhesive. Is the setting process done by hydraulic action, once water is added to a dry powder adhesive? Would that be better in my case than a pre-mixed version?

The other part of that area is very porous because I had to re-plaster that section. Perhaps to prevent too much moisture absorption from the adhesive would I need to seal that section with SBR or prime it with 50% paint 50% water?

Should a normal adhesive be sufficient to tile around the top of the cooker or would it have to be a heat resistant adhesive?

Thanks for your replies.

Sponsored Links
Im not a tiling expert but i would rub the eggshell back as much as possible to provide a good key for the new adhesive.
Fresh plaster should provide a good base for the new adhesive and i cant see the need for a heat resistant product.

I've tried rubbing down a small area with medium sand paper. The eggshell paint is very thick. The shine eventually comes off, it's very tough, and there is another coat (white) underneath which still makes it moisture proof. :confused:

As it's only 1m2, get a steamer and remove the paint and do the job well? Or a quicker fix is to score the paint loads.

Sponsored Links
If one can tile OVER ceramic tiles, I would have thought tiling onto eggshell paint would work.
Just use a batten for the first course of tiles.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back