Electric vehicle charging point

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone fitted one?

My brothers on about getting an electric car and I'm just wondering what's involved with the supply.

What size is the supply likely to be? What sort of connector does it use? Anything else to consider?

Sponsored Links
I think the connector is specific to the car.
Was reading a report recently discussing the implications of TN-C-S earthing and charging points, the conclusion was that any increase in any risk was acceptable.

I quoted for a few charging points, but never got to install any before I retired.

Sure, the connector varies from car to car. I believe the supply for the ones we were doing was 32A (there are 13A versions, but they take forever to charge).

Having spoken to one of the IET team prior to the drawing up of vehicle charging points regs, they were toying with the idea of using TT for the charging point, but that may have all changed. I'm sorry to say that I have not caught up with the latest amendments.

I presume some sort of spec will be available from the manufacturers.

The supply is TN-S so I'm not too concerned about exporting the earth.

Sponsored Links
Have the IET put EV charging points in the regs yet?

Here is the "installation spec" from an EVCP installer:

4mm2 twin & earth up to 43 meters plus conduit
Henley block
Consumer unit
Type A residual circuit device 63 amp: 30 milliamp
Miniature 20 amp circuit breaker type C
Double pole isolator switch with pattress
Earth electrode with cover and clamp

Their supply is 20A, not 32A.

The report is on our IT system at work, but is public so I'll try & find a link.
It was done for the IET at a lab in Derbyshire

I'm not sure. I was reading about the upcoming changes in amd. 3 due out in jan 2015 and didn't see any mention of EV points.

A few months ago, everyone was offering to fit one FOC, even if you didn't have an electric car. Some government scheme. I never followed up on the details.

As you say there was a debate as to TN-C-S using TN-S or TT was not a problem.

It would seem some cars have an isolated body and as such it really does not matter what earthing arrangements are used.

With a TT supply that's all well and good where the charge point is 10 meters away from any TN-C-S earthing but at home that's certainly a valid question.

Be it a caravan or a car with the 15 meters required between building and car/caravan on a caravan site/charging point using a TT where the supply to building is TN-C-S is not a problem.

Again garaged in the building a TN-C-S supply is also not a problem.

However where the car is charged between the two points it's down to a risk assessment.

Where the vehicle body is isolated again no problem.

Isolation transformer again no problem.

But I am glad I have not had to decide how to proceed.

Well if he does get an EV I'll post a full report in here as to MIs and how I did it. I imagine this is going to become something that will be getting requested more and more in the years to come.

I'm surprised the guidance is not out there in the regs now EV's are on sale.

Sometimes, even the experts don't know what to do for the best!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back