Metal conduit

Sponsored Links
We tend to use a pair of closed pliers inside the end to get rid of the sharp edges.
That does sound a bit rough, and offensive in the way that misuse of a tool is.

I can't justify a deburring tool - I would have thought you could, but if not what's wrong with a rat tail or half round file?

It is the way we were taught as apprentices, it is only to wipe the burr off the inside of the end of the pipe after threading.
I don't know if a normal de-burring tool will work with seamed pipe? A pipe de-burrer may work better such as this: http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/deburring-tools/2063479/
A file doesn't work very well owing to the restricted space, you get a better angle with pliers.

Sponsored Links
Maybe we should have a poll?

As far as I am concerned, pliers do the job nicely hence why go to the trouble and expense of using something else?

Because it's the misuse of a tool, and therefore offensive.

And an indication of inadequate training, incompetance and generally being slapdash. And the tool you need is a ½" round bastard file, thats what electricians use.

Edit, A bastard file is one who's mummy and daddy were not married.

As long as it's deburred why on earth would it mater how that's achieved? There are loads of things in electrical contracting where different sparks have different ways of doing things.

I strip pyro with a joistripper. Others use a wheel and hook cutter, some use a tee bar, and some use side cutters. They all work, and for me to call the other methods wrong because that's not how I do it would seem a little silly.

... Are you also a "spark" that thinks the standard way to use a bending machine is to pull the lever upwards?

What's wrong with pulling the lever upwards?

I normally go downwards, but if the ground gets in the way, I turn it around.

I've worked with plumbers that always go up. :confused:

Not sure how how you bend a 3.75m length of conduit it the middle without going upwards :confused:

I'm getting 'know it all career change 'electrician'' vibes here

You'd probably end up with scaffold tower without handrails and the bender which can weigh around 30kg dangling over the edge and a worker on the wrong side of the handrail :eek: :LOL:
After all that you may find the foot of the bender gets in the way.

Don't forget to file off the sharp burr from the conduit ends to avoid cutting into the cable.
We tend to use a pair of closed pliers inside the end to get rid of the sharp edges.

Thats because you've never been properly trained into how to install steel conduit. Are you also a "spark" that thinks the STANDARD way to use a bending machine is to pull the lever upwards?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back