The end of wet central heating?

Sponsored Links
Just a link to a Yorkshire Tectite Sprint Female Coupler 22mm x ¾" on Screwfix I think.
Exactly - and do you really think that richardrich79 really intended to send us to that page to learn about the concept of far infra-red heating???!!!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Lads, have a look at this: http://www.far-infrared-heating.co.uk/[/QUOTE]Is there not a contradiction right at the start ....
...Far Infrared Heating is that is heats solid objects like the walls of a room and furniture, which then radiate back and raise the air temperature to a comfortable level. Infrared does not heat the air like most other types of heater.
It surely either heats the air (directly or indirectly) or it doesn't?!

It seem to me that we are primarily talking about heating by radiation, rather than convection, and that takes me back to the experienced of my youth in the 50s and 60s - when people huddled around essentially radiant 'electric fires' (sometimes gas paraffin ones, again, essentially 'radiators'), but who froze the moment they moved significant distances away from the heat source.

Of course, if the far infra-red thingies heat the air "to a comfortable level", although they "don't heat the air", then that might not be a problem :)

Kind Regards, John

sadly, the hype avoids the truth.

To warm a room and its contents to a comfortable temperature, let's say 20C, you have to input enough energy to match the energy that is lost through the walls, floor, ceiling and air changes.

It is fairly easy to calculate heat loss, there are plenty of tools which are used by people wishing to calculate the size of the heating system they need.

If you input less energy, the temperature of the room will drop.

Therefore, even though the fantasy might be attractive, it is simply impossible to heat a room with 10W of energy if it needs 1000W to maintain the target temperature.

DIYedboy, try to use intelligence before attempting a conclusion

Charlatans make their money by preying on the gullible who are willing to believe that there is some magical way to create more energy (heat) than is being supplied.

To warm a room and its contents to a comfortable temperature, let's say 20C, you have to input enough energy to match the energy that is lost through the walls, floor, ceiling and air changes. ... Therefore, even though the fantasy might be attractive, it is simply impossible to heat a room with 10W of energy if it needs 1000W to maintain the target temperature.
Exactly - and, as I pointed out, they don't even seem to have decided whether these thingies heat the air or not (not that they could avoid doing so, even if indirectly)!

Kind Regards, John

Ban all sheds, always use intelligence before attempting a conclusion
It is not I who is displaying a lack of intelligence here.

This type of heat generation uses much less power than a gas system
Then the house will be colder than when heated by a gas system.

owners are reporting 80% savings
Then they must be cold.

It sounds a bit good to me but a sprinkling of caution saves a flood of cash!
It seems to me that you came here wanting people to tell you that the impossible claims made by the sellers are indeed true, and are becoming unhappy because not one person has done that.

If you want to see feel the effect of infra-red heaters in a location with cold air then go and sit outside a pub under an infra-red heater (usually in the smoking area!) - warm front & cold back.

You will only feel warm if you are near to the heating panels - if the air temperature is low then you will feel cold.

Allow me to help you Ban...............

The purpose of this site is for those with knowledge on subjects to impart that knowledge by way of answering the questions of those that don't have that knowledge, (many thanks to all those that have been generous minded enough to answer my questions over the years).

If you read my first post on this subject, you will hopefully deduce that I am asking questions regarding this heating variation. That is in the hope of getting worthwhile responses and facts/explanations to back up those answers in order that I may learn something.

To jump straight in and call me in effect a 'mug' when I am seeking unbiased opinions on a subject I have no knowledge of, is the kneejerk reaction of a ......................(there's lots of words we can put in the space isn't there?)

Allow me to help you Ban.... The purpose of this site is for those with knowledge on subjects to impart that knowledge by way of answering the questions of those that don't have that knowledge, (many thanks to all those that have been generous minded enough to answer my questions over the years). .... If you read my first post on this subject, you will hopefully deduce that I am asking questions regarding this heating variation. That is in the hope of getting worthwhile responses and facts/explanations to back up those answers in order that I may learn something.
I personally in no way condone BAS's style or choice of language, and I hope that some of my responses, particularly the earlier ones, were of some interest.

However, I do think you should be strongly encouraged to seek out and read carefully some independent reviews of, and views about, this technology, since the hazards associated with taking seriously anything written by (or linked to by, or 'testimonials' supplied by) those with a vested commercial interest are fairly obvious.

You have received views from several different people here (variously expressed!) but a common feature of most of them has been to at least caution you about what you have read and heard about this technology.

Kind Regards, John

John D, try to use intelligence before having a snipe, I am asking a question because I have no knowledge of energy loss V energy input,( as probably 90% of the rest of the public don't either)

John W and Flameport many thanks for your intelligent answers, you have taken the trouble to look at the information and give me your experienced opinions, which is a lot better than jumping on an opportunity to 'gob off' and add absolutely nothing of any use.

I am asking a question because I have no knowledge of energy loss V energy input,( as probably 90% of the rest of the public don't either).

It is that 90% without knowledge who create a customer base for companies that sell equipment that the other 10% with knowledge would never buy. The skill in marketing these systems is telling the public enough to make sure that the advert is acceptable to the Advertising Standards Agency and Trading Standards but not enough for the average member of the public to realise the claims made are at best dubious and at worst down right un-truths.

That said if the person ( or family ) is prepared to accept a change in life style then radiant panels may reduce heating bills. In some situations reducing the over all room temperature ( air temperature ) by a few degrees and obtaining comfort heating from radiant panels may be more economical.

But the basic rule is that a kilowatt hour of heat produced by electricity will always be more expensive that the same amount of heat from gas. An exception is where the heat is a waste product from use of electricity in a motor or other equipment.

I have long favoured the idea of a combined heating system where gas is used for a back ground heat but at night this is supplemented with electric radiated heat as we seem to want it warmer in the evening than during the day but only in rooms in use.

Major problem with radiated heat is control as thermostats measure air temperature but radiated heat do not heat the air it heats solid objects it reaches. Hence a mixture of both works best.

The devices however for allowing this mixture for radiated and convected heat however have been withdrawn from sale. Which does seem a little short sighed. However there are still some available for commercial use. They are called.

The tungsten light bulb

The devices also give out light so it means you can save energy as no longer do you need to use florescent or LED lights which also means no mercury or arsenic so final disposal is causing less damage. Only down side is high maintenance these devices have a limited life and need changing at regular intervals. But the use of a special bayonet connector does mean they are easy to change.

Firstly let me apologise for posting an incorrect link, I'm glad the more astute realised it was an error, unfortunately having been in the the land of no mobile signal or broadband connection I've bee unable to correct my mistake until now. Here is the correct link
http://www.infraredheatpanels.com/what-is-infrared-heating/
One interesting factor is that the panels can be mounted on the ceiling freeing up wallspace

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back