Temp. lighting while redoing lights.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

My lighting has gone in the piggery, one line of h.d. wire with 5 lights, think wire has broken inside. No pigs in piggery have goats in pens at night and young kids. Need temp lighting while fitting new lights to new wire. Any suggestions please. Have long lengths of wire with fixtures for heat lamps/reflective bulbs could use. Son say get cascade lights like used on building sites - can't find any! Answer, you get some son and I will use them! lol Have roll of grey wire - type used in street lighting, should I get new light fittings for safety, also concerned re pos. damp? Present fittings about 12 yrs old and still look good!

Tend to go for belt and braces job! Would get in local electrician as very short of time, he is so good he has no time either!

Have a major problem over last couple of years, rats - resistant to bait, have new young cat to assist 2 older cat! Big rats! On top of this problem now - they didn't chew cable. However, they can't get to wiring - could encase it in h.d. hose and suspend a little!

Any suggestions always welcome - expecting some criticism but that is all in the learning process!

Lot there folks :rolleyes: All is sent to try us and it does! :)

Sponsored Links
Ok... I didn't understand much of that other than you have some big rats?!
:rolleyes:

Yep, me and a lot of others have, or have had, big rats. Looking for idea for temp lighting in piggery while put up new lights, need at least four. Have made a start on permanent lights. Raided Christmas lights!

Sorry you didn't understand, must remember to make it clearer next time! :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks RF Lighting!!!

Just the job, thank you very much, very kind of you to post!! Will sort it with Screw fix, electrician can get over this week sometime. Collecting broiler to rear for Christmas this week too!

Much appreciated, have a good week end! :D

Hi RF Lighting.

Have been to Screw fix, sorted the lights, re transformer. Will Portable Transformer with 2 Output Sockets 1.5kVA Product Code: 61847 be suitable or do I need the larger one with the strap? No electricians or help at Screw fix over week end. Not expecting to use the lights often, fingers crossed!

Thanks very much for your time and trouble, greatly appreciated!

Hi Andy

No lol, have had turkeys these are Ross or Cobb chickens. Have had turkeys, need to start early in the year! These are a few reared for family and friends, get a good life with plenty of room and access to grass on good days!

Have a pet gander that lives in the garden keeps strangers away, bed in a dog kennel!

Kind regards.

Hi RF Lighting,

Sorry to trouble you. Can I use LW bulbs in the lighting, I only have 5 lights in piggery so would want to reduce energy if all 10 have to be used! Have placed order, hope to collect tomorrow, need expert advice as not available at Screw fix week ends! Thank you, again, very much appreciated!

Or just fit 5 bulbs.

If they really are temporary I'm not sure you will get your money back at 5 quid a lamp

Hi Andy,

The info, help and money laid out will be very helpful - not just to me, to help out friends in the same predicament! Can be very hard when you have cattle housed in winter and lights go or lambing in a poll tunnel, happy to loan to friends!

Thanks for your thoughtful comment!

Kind regards. :)

I meant it wouldn't be worth the saving on your elec bill buying energy saving lamps if your only going to use them for a week or 2

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back