What kind of tradesmen would replace phone sockets?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just bought a house, which has phone sockets in almost every room.

Many look very old and are hanging off the wall, sat on the floor etc.

I thought it might be nice to get new ones properly fixed to the wall.

What kind of tradesman would do this?

Sponsored Links
telephone engineer is best, but most electricians would be able to do it as well.

Based on personal experience, I wouldn't trust the average electrician with anything IT or AV related. Not unless you have a few recommendations from trusted friends that he knows what he is doing.

Go for a telephone engineer.

Sponsored Links
Agree with Lucid.

Best option would be to look at adverts listed in Gumtree, Friday Ads etc for Telephone Engineers. Chances are they are current or ex BT and will know what they are doing and use the proper cables. Electricians will do the job but often use incorrect (have seen standard electrical cables used - I kid you not!!) or cheap cable.

As an electrician sorry have to agree. Years ago all that mattered is for the telephone to work and there were three wires if you got 2 and 5 swapped the bell did not work and it was simply a case of it worked or it didn't.

However today with fibre broad band going down the cables it really does need special test equipment which the standard electrician will not have.

OK I did Cisco Systems and so has my son but we are the minority and even though we know what should be done we still do not have test gear to test once completed.

I had to disconnect some in my house because a neighbour fitted wall lights on the other side of the wall to my telephone which causes a 50 Hz hum on the line. It is so easy to make an error like that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back