Rover 45 2001

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been told I will need a replacement speedo transducer, part no ybe 100520 for my rover... I could probably get one from a breakers yard but I have looked in/under my engine and both sides and I STILL can't see it. is it attatched to something? or is it normaly hidden by some other part? can you help me? many thanks

Sponsored Links
Typically, these fit into the differential housing of the gearbox......thats the bit the drive shafts fix in to.
Is there any sign down there?
John :)

Typically, these fit into the differential housing of the gearbox......thats the bit the drive shafts fix in to.
Is there any sign down there?

thanks john. I presume i should be looking on/around the OFF side half shaft? I will have another look from underneath..I was told there is/should be an electrical connector at one end? and the cylinder is only fixed by one bolt? in which case it makes for more frustration as I would otherwise have to pay a mechanic around £20-25 to fit it. :!:

I really dont know which side of the diff the transducer will be, but if its the traditional type then its got to be down there somewhere.......maybe a picture of the thing would help you identify it?
Anyway, there will only be two electrical connections inside the gearbox - the transducer being one and the reverse light switch the other.

Sponsored Links
Sounds very much like the one used in PSA cars which is mounted above where the o/s driveshaft enters the diff.

Peter

I really dont know which side of the diff the transducer will be, but if its the traditional type then its got to be down there somewhere.......maybe a picture of the thing would help you identify it?
Anyway, there will only be two electrical connections inside the gearbox - the transducer being one and the reverse light switch the other.
Big thanks to you both... As you rightly said I can easily see the reversing light switch on the top of the housing but you use the word INside the gearbox?..I.m guessing there may be a recess adjacent to the transmission.. I have seen an 'exploded' view on a webpage printed by Rimmer bros (parts dealers-Lincoln) they wanted £47 for a guarenteed new one, there are any number of others who have a 'USED' one but if its no good I'll have no way of knowing whether the fault is elsewhere..eg a faulty earth maybe? the speedo clock is working but is obviously very erratic.... either way I will get it sorted soon, thanks for your advice.

My apologies if my reply was misleading......the transducer will fix onto the outside of the gearbox - there's no need for gearbox dismantling!
If its like Peter says, its a white plastic thing with a multiblock electrical connection.
If its faulty, expect spasmodic speedo readings / bouncing needle or no reading at all.

Rover 45... progress report :) I have recently spoken to a qualified (and trustworthy) Auto electrician on the subject of these transducers...I was told that IF the speedo /needle is bouncing or erratic then the fault is almost certainly in the wired SWITCH...eg DAMP. NOT the transducer itself at least not unless the drive mechanism is damaged which is very unlikely. I was told that the transducer either works AOK, or not at all. Not something in between so to speak. He advised me to pull it away from the transducer, clean it , and smother the connections with vaseline. All I have to do now is FIND it :) :)

Rover 45... progress report :) I have recently spoken to a qualified (and trustworthy) Auto electrician on the subject of these transducers...I was told that IF the speedo /needle is bouncing or erratic then the fault is almost certainly in the wired SWITCH...eg DAMP. NOT the transducer itself at least not unless the drive mechanism is damaged which is very unlikely. I was told that the transducer either works AOK, or not at all. Not something in between so to speak. He advised me to pull it away from the transducer, clean it , and smother the connections with vaseline. All I have to do now is FIND it :) :)

This problem is still on going. I had the transducer replaced, or so I'm told... and the fault is still there.. oddly enough I had arranged an MOT with the same garage I booked for the repair... with wipers in a poor condition, reversing light not working and a faulty speedo the garage still issued a pass... and NO advisories either! Naughty? Maybe , but the problem is still there..... :confused: will try a new speedo switch next week, see if that cures the problem.... ONE other possibility is the fittings at the BACK of the speedometer? Only problem there is the access to it from under the binacle presumably..?

Just try tapping the dash, sometimes the needle sticks ..............
Obviously you need to be moving

Had the speedo drive tested (ok) and had a new set of clocks (Second hand) fitted... solved the rev counter probem, unfortunately the bouncing speedo needle is STILL there? I'm guessing there may be a problem with the wiring or faulty fuse maybe? Either way I will obviously need some more Hi spec advice.... or sell it!..... :eek:

Sounds like a poor connection somewhere introducing spurious pulses, possibly the plug on the sensor.

Peter

If you're on Facebook have a look for the MG Rover - East Anglia region owners group. We're a friendly bunch, and advice is usually forthcoming if anyone has a problem.

Sponsored Links
Back