Patio door has never wanted to shut without a fight!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My patio door has always been very hard to shut, I had to take out one of the little supports at the bottom or whatever they´re called the last time I opened the door just to be able to shut it.

It has always looked slightly lower on the lock side of the door, so I would say it needs lifting around 3 to 5mm.

How do I go about adjusting the door? Is this a 2 person job etc!
Can't afford to damage the door so any info how I can sort it out would be appreciated.

Pic of one of the 3 hinges attached, hopefully these are adjustable?

Sponsored Links
There is no height adjustment on those hinges so you will need to heel and toe the door, See here
http://www.malberntradewindows.co.uk/toeandheel.html[/QUOTE]
Thanx for the info Gazman16

Very disappointed to hear this type of hinge can't be adjusted, couldn't see how it was but just hoping.

Just had a look at that link you provided. BTW the detailed techdoc.pdf on that page is a dead link.
I get the idea of what needs doing but will try and find some more info before considering trying that myself.
Worried in part about removing beading as mine is or was white and not the usual black so replacing it if damaged would really stand out,

Is there any other way I can fix this.
What about adjusting the frame side parts of the locks and moving them down a few mm?
As the door isn't dragging on the frame but just the supports and the drop isn't that visibly noticeable would this be a workable solution or a bodge?

Sponsored Links
Can you post a picture of inside and out of the door, It may not be as hard as you think. You dont normally need to take the glass out, Just the beads and they are normally fairly easy.

The other way would work for now but yes it is a bit of a bodge. If all your screw holes end up close together you can end up with big holes that the screws just turn in resulting in a not very secure door.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back