Relay wiring help needed

It is a common thing to produce lager to drive a fridge as described. The STC1000 Temp Sensor seems to be the main device used to convert a fridge and does not require extra relays to do the job. There is a setting for temperature setting between on and off this will allow one to give the gasses time to equalise before the motor is restarted.

On this forum you will find many who use these units to control fridges.

Personally I cringe when I read the reports on the Heath Robinson methods used with little regard for the families safety using duck tape to hold them on the fridge.

For a basic fridge or freezer there is unlikely to be a problem but for the more complex units we really have no idea of the internal control. My new one is designed to work from 1°C to 7°C but there is also a "Vacation" setting which runs the fridge at 15°C but leaves the freezer running and these specials are often reset with power failures and also the whole unit often goes through a self test each time it is switched on.

Frost Free freezers contain heaters again how these will react to being switched off and on is anyone's guess.

Cheaper models normally have a overload designed to stop the motor restarting when there is still pressure in the pipework. These will wear out if used on a regular basis I was told when turning off generators not to turn back on for 5 minutes to allow the AC's to de-pressurise before putting power back on.

More expensive types use inverters to drive three phase motors even when only supplied with single phase and use a soft start system how these would work with power cuts again is any ones guess.

Mine also has lamps which blink when the fridge or freezer temperature rises.

The main problem with my old fridge/freezer was the electronic control which for some reason would cause the interior lamp to flash when I opened the door and for the water dispenser to also switch on/off when used. We worried about if the temperature was always maintained and unlike the new one there was no temperature display every time you opened the door.

I had considered using the old Hoover for beer being so well insulated even in the garage it would allow the beer to sit at 20°C or lower with lager but I am uncertain how the motors would run when switched on and off so was considering a auto door opener instead. Just using it as an insulated box. The fermenting will keep beer warm.

As to power on start my old Hoover is around 10A max and 0.5A Run the new Samsung is 1.2A Max and that is the defrost heater not the motor and 0.25A run but most also use around 0.05A idle clearly to run the electronics.

I did suggest to my wife the 15°C vacation setting would be ideal for brewing lager I can't repeat her reply without getting banned from the forum. Anyway what she said she would do with my fermentor if I tried is impossible!

I also considered a relay and using a cool box top so I could cool or heat as required. Then I looked at the power used. The cool box uses more power than my large fridge/freezer.

But step one is a box to house all the bits. Fit stuffing glands for all cables I often knot or use a cable tie so cable can't be pulled out. Then wire up as once working you will not want to dismantle it all to put in box.

Sponsored Links
there is also a "Vacation" setting which runs the fridge at 15°C
Kind of assumes that some people empty their fridges before they go on holiday.

I did suggest to my wife the 15°C vacation setting would be ideal for brewing lager I can't repeat her reply without getting banned from the forum.
Buy your own fridge on eBay?

Look for a giveaway on freecycle?

there is also a "Vacation" setting which runs the fridge at 15°C
Kind of assumes that some people empty their fridges before they go on holiday.
This does worry me the sign for vacation on fridge/freezer is nearly the same as sign to show eco setting on freezer, both same make, and both have a very similar HMI (Human Machine Interface) redeeming feature is every time we open door it displays the temperature.
I did suggest to my wife the 15°C vacation setting would be ideal for brewing lager I can't repeat her reply without getting banned from the forum.
Buy your own fridge on eBay?

Look for a giveaway on freecycle?
I will likely build a controller and test with the old Hoover fridge/freezer and see how it works £20 is not a lot of money and £8 for 40 pints of beer that's kit and sugar is not a bad price.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back