Prices for Kitchen Units - Why The Secrecy ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Would anyone please be able to provide a link or a download to a catalogue with prices for Howden's or Magnet kitchen units. They seem very reluctant to provide detailed pricing to the general public.

I sat through a two hour session with "Magnet Man" to get the quote and plan but then they refuse to provide details of the specification and breakdown of costs and only provide a total figure with a few drawings of how it will look.

Jack

Sponsored Links
They wish to charge you as much as possible, lack of information is the easiest way to achieve it. A price list is pointless as no one would pay their list price as they offer discounts according to how much business you do with them.

Howdens are trade only so you wont get a price list from them.
Your best bet is to phone your local depot telling them your requirements and telloing them you're trade. It's their busiest time and like everyone in the business they are desperate to meet their sales targets so should be quite easy to blag an account with them especially if you don't want credit.

Sponsored Links
Just set up an account with them. You don't have to be trade, i'm not and they were happy to set me up with an account and purchase stuff. Won't get a discount like some people do that spend 1,000s with them so if you know someone with an account might be worth using theirs

Whilst Howden/Magnet are well enough made units they are by no means the best units you can buy.
Just recently looked at IKEA units, which are every bit as good, also B&Q, Wiles, Home base etc. Best to look around and don't be put off by the hype in my opinion...pinenot :)

That's one of the reasons we went for ikea. Very easy to price up, all from the comfort of home. Also easy to cost up various options. None of this secret nonsense which is just to extract more money. Quality is good and the new stuff is very easy to fit.

That's one of the reasons we went for ikea. Very easy to price up, all from the comfort of home. Also easy to cost up various options. None of this secret nonsense which is just to extract more money. Quality is good and the new stuff is very easy to fit.

Only problem with Ikea stuff is the total lack of a service void behind units. If your fitting one in a new extension, then it's fairly easy to plan plumbing, wastes and electrics to suit the lack of the service void, but in an existing kitchen, it's sometimes very difficult to re-route plumbing/wastes etc.

If your fitting retrospect kitchens it's worth planning all the services before fitting the carcases. IKEA units all sit on legs which provide an ideal service space, for by they are garaunteed for 25 years and this according to their fitting instructions (you can download these) includes any cutting for service entry points where required (assuming you do the job right presumably) ...pinenot :)

I bought a Wickes kitchen, sat down with a ''designer'', I also went round B&Q, Magnet, but the prices were so over-inflated I just didn't bother getting back to them.

From that one experience I wouldn't ever need to bother with a designer again and am going to design the next one, but was willing to get 'ripped off' for want of a better phrase so that I could learn. That's not to say I got rubbish, was very happy with the kitchen but could have most likely got equally as good value elsewhere for a 1/3 + off the price.

A mate of mine suggested howdens as well, but he has a trade account... One thing is your right to want to get the list prices, B&Q trade do (I'm told) have a catalog with prices... introduce a salesman and you'll end up paying 30-40% more for the same stuff you could buy yourself .. I always smirk to myself when I walk past B&Q show kitchens with all the ''designers'' prancing around showing couples the kitchens..

I wouldn't' dream of buying anything now without first having a catalog in front of me so I can piece one together for the best possible value

Also there are so many free 3D kitchen planners on the market (normally taylered to the providers kitchen units) which can, with a little bit of work, be used to put kitchen units of your choise into a precreated room. Sketch up is my favourite, but not so easy to master, IKEA do good one, but you basicly need to be fitting an IKEA kitchen really. But there are others, all you need is a browser and a reasonable pragmatic way of thinking...pinenot 😊

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back