Structural engineer recommendation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

Long time lurker - first time poster :oops:

Wanted to tap into the wealth of wisdom here by asking if anyone can recommend me either a structural engineer or building surveyor professional to advise me in the procedure of removing an entire chimney, i.e inside and out, the breast/flue/stack etc the whole shebang.

Having googled/yellow pages for SE/BS, I am yet to find anyone cheaper than £400+VAT :eek: but have read on here that other folk have found someone @ £80/90+VAT?

I have spoken to my LA buildings control regs and know that I need to submit a drawing that shows how I plan to support the remaining walls/structure of the house in order for BC to sign off on the work and I think the proposal myself is fairly straightforward as it is a detached house (so no PWA involved) and I am planning on removing the whole thing rather than leaving one floor in tact and thus requiring support such as RSJ/ Gallows Bracket, but any further advice/reccommendations would be much appreciated!

FYI my house is in Slough, Berkshire

Thank you in advance and if you need any further info on the house - ask away and I will try to post pics up v. soon :idea:

Sponsored Links
If you are taking the whole lot out, why would you need input from an SE?

If you are taking the whole lot out, why would you need input from an SE?

I did say this to BC but they still asked me for plans etc so I'm unsure myself - perhaps another call to the planning dept to double check what regs are needed to sign off the complete removal of the chimney is in order...

thanks for your input

Sponsored Links
If you do it under the Building Notice procedure (instead of Full Plans), you don't need to send a drawing in.

It would be unusual for a chimney removal to be done under Full Plans. The only thing they could reasonably expect to check would be the infilling of the floor and ceiling?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back