fixing to stud wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Bit of a DIY novice here. Hope someone can help me!

I'm trying to fix this drying rack to a stud wall

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/10177178/

It is too wide to be fixed to the studs on both sides. Do you think I could get away with hollow wall anchors on one side? or even both? or should I somehow fix some battens between the studs?

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
Cheers, I'm aware of plasterboard fixings, just wondering if they are strong enough for something like this? should be I guess...

Just make sure it's not in a position where it might be walked into or stood up under as there is a lot of leverage at play, it would be ripped off the wall.

Sponsored Links
foxhole is right, of course. The fixings at the top will be in tension, so a toggle fixing may be the most appropriate. The lower fixings will be in shear so a nail would do (but a Redi-drive cavity fixing would be more sensible)!

They look fine although I was thinking of a spring toggle (if you've got enough space to push it in). Basically, you need to spread the load behind the plasterboard. The screw-in ones are great in shear (I know people who've hung boilers on them) but the top fixings on your airer are being pulled out rather than being hung on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back